Oil cooler block off plate gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use loctite, and the number I found to torque that down is 80 in. lbs.
Make sure that number is correct. I over tighten mine and now need to get another oil pan

And not with a torque wrench, I was using the old German good.and.tight method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the O-ring is regular rubber. At least I hope they'd have more sense than that.

At ~5,000 miles a year, I'm willing to bet that mine would degrade from age long before it would from temperature cycles.

If things go as planned, the entire engine will be changed before that pan or cover is ever removed again. I adhere to factory design and specs where I feel it's critical such as engine cover alignments and torque specs, TTY bolt specs, etc. But this wasn't worth researching torque specs, IMO. I'm fine with installing it with some common sense and a dab of Loctite.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I said rubber, I meant whatever soft sealing material they use. According to Felpro, they use a metal carrier (same as GM) and a silicone rubber material.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I said rubber, I meant whatever soft sealing material they use. According to Felpro, they use a metal carrier (same as GM) and a silicone rubber material.

I gotcha. I'm not concerned about it's longevity at all. There are plenty of areas where hot, pressurized oil is in constant contact with the seal and they last 100,000+ miles. If this ever leaked, it's still much easier to replace than the front or rear cover or oil pan gaskets!

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see on Rock Auto they have 2 replacement gaskets, 1 has an oval port and the other 2 round holes. Which one is correct, or does it matter? 6.2L here.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an oil cooler? use the 2 hole version. If not? use the oval/single hole one.

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 denali. Im going to be tackling this as well. from what i gathered, the gasket is 12611384 AcDelco. Its a thin metal gasket. Not sure if it matters the orientation of the "squared side". I was going to look at the one on the truck and go from there. Im also replacing the "cap" as im sure its all cruddy (GM 12577903).
31e6qmmLGOL._SX90_.jpg

Now what im not sure about is which sealant to use with the gasket. There are a ton of different sealants and gasket materials, some say to use with gaskets, others say not to. How important is what you use in this application?

RedRascal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like mine is leaking, and from what I've researched online, the original is metal. But the replacement AC delco is not (12611384), the felpro doesn't look any better (72462). Anyone have any suggestions? Would be nice to have an original metal one.
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DP2024