Oil cooler block off plate gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like mine is leaking, and from what I've researched online, the original is metal. But the replacement AC delco is not (12611384), the felpro doesn't look any better (72462). Anyone have any suggestions? Would be nice to have an original metal one.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just in the same boat. Actually, the original (from 2002 anyway) had a rubber gasket built into it. The new one was a thin metal gasket. I haven't heard of a lot of leaks from the thin metal one, but I could be wrong. I've got the ACDelco one for now, but if it leaks I'll consider the Billet.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just in the same boat. Actually, the original (from 2002 anyway) had a rubber gasket built into it. The new one was a thin metal gasket. I haven't heard of a lot of leaks from the thin metal one, but I could be wrong. I've got the ACDelco one for now, but if it leaks I'll consider the Billet.

Mine is sweating quite a bit but the lines are also due for replacement soon.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yup. I bought this off Amazon. A few bucks more than an OEM gasket, but I'm sure it's a permanent solution. Also, it uses a regular O-ring as the gasket, which can be found everywhere for pennies.

View attachment 243543

Just curious, did you use any loctite on those bolts and what did you torque it down to?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it is a permanent solution, but it will be for a long time. The original block off gasket from GM was very similar to what you installed.

I was reading up on gaskets and metal gaskets are used in situations that are exposed to a lot of heat. It's possible that, over time, the rubber block off gasket degrades over time simply because it's exposed to hot oil for long periods of time. In contrast, the oil pan gasket is not bathed in hot oil.

I'm not going to debate which is better here. Evidently, both the metal and rubber gaskets fail over time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup. I bought this off Amazon. A few bucks more than an OEM gasket, but I'm sure it's a permanent solution. Also, it uses a regular O-ring as the gasket, which can be found everywhere for pennies.

View attachment 243543

I bought the same at Amazon and used a new AC Delco gasket and very clean surfaces and a thin film of RTV. Very thin film. Not a drop since then, about 4 months now.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. If I get any leaks with my ACDelco gasket I'll pull it off and so the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep