Oil change time - Additives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McDermut

Reaction score
I'll be doing an oil change on my '99 Yukon, which I plan on using Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-30 (which from what I've found on here seems to be a good choice) with either a Mobil 1 or an AC Delco filter.

What I'm curious about is are there some oil additives that would help the 5.7L with the mileage it's at (almost 138000)? I've heard of Lucas additives being used, as well as Marvel Mystery Oil but I'm not sure if my engine is old enough for it to do any good.

In terms of filters, are there other brand filters that actually seem to do better, or is it more brand preference/loyalty?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing an oil change on my '99 Yukon, which I plan on using Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-30 (which from what I've found on here seems to be a good choice) with either a Mobil 1 or an AC Delco filter.

What I'm curious about is are there some oil additives that would help the 5.7L with the mileage it's at (almost 138000)? I've heard of Lucas additives being used, as well as Marvel Mystery Oil but I'm not sure if my engine is old enough for it to do any good.

In terms of filters, are there other brand filters that actually seem to do better, or is it more brand preference/loyalty?

Hi Alex, I would not use any additives, the Mobil One will loosen up any sludge as it is. I have learned on my motors that the M1 EP filters lowered my oil pressure 2-3 psi compared with the K&N and ACDelco filters I was trying out at the time. Now I only run the K&Ns. One, because of that 1" nut on the bottom makes removal easy and two because they flow better and down to a smaller micron rating than all of the competition. That said, I would not hesitate to even run a FRAM filter!

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex, I would not use any additives, the Mobil One will loosen up any sludge as it is. I have learned on my motors that the M1 EP filters lowered my oil pressure 2-3 psi compared with the K&N and ACDelco filters I was trying out at the time. Now I only run the K&Ns. One, because of that 1" nut on the bottom makes removal easy and two because they flow better and down to a smaller micron rating than all of the competition. That said, I would not hesitate to even run a FRAM filter!

Really? I honestly didn't know that. I typically run Purolator Boss or similar

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good filter too.

How have you and the Missus been Nathan?

We've been great! Been busy with work, family, and working on the house lately. Just had our 1 year anniversary last month and spent it in Asheville. Man that year went by fast!

How have you been?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been great! Been busy with work, family, and working on the house lately. Just had our 1 year anniversary last month and spent it in Asheville. Man that year went by fast!

How have you been?

Good to hear Nathan! I'm happy to be on top of the grass and not under it! Got the Wuhan Flu which put me in the hospital a couple of times but am doing much better.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Nathan! I'm happy to be on top of the grass and not under it! Got the Wuhan Flu which put me in the hospital a couple of times but am doing much better.

That sucks, but hey, now you got that natural stuff to fight it off better in the future! And, you're still above ground, that's a good thing!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please NO additives!! Just stick to Mobil 1. For filters I just stick to AC Delco but that is just me.

OP
OP
McDermut

McDermut

Reaction score
Please NO additives!! Just stick to Mobil 1. For filters I just stick to AC Delco but that is just me.

I opted for no additives, just the oil and an AC Delco PF52. I ran just the smallest amount of Marvel Mystery Oil that was leftover from a second gas treatment prior to making a trip home and it may have helped or not, but the old oil was pretty close to black when it came out.