Oil catch can options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the main thing to focus on is the primary side for a catch can.
the side that goes from the driver side valve cover, and then right into the top of the intake.
I just snipped the plastic line and attached the extension for my catch can.

The other side is not a priority.

This is how i choose to do mine.
Mostly i had aluminum line left over from my vette project, and not enough silicone hose.
Too lazy to go to the store, this is how i ran it!
View attachment 270019
View attachment 270020

the red ends are the flex joints.
the long red line at the bottom of the fuse box is the flex joint for the can side.

The bits of red hose in the middle serve as an isolator, purely there to keep the hard lines from rubbing together, and against other hard objects.

the silicone hose was also left over from my vette project.
It's color scheme is red and silver... :cool:
Very Nice,

3JFamily

Reaction score
I have a 2006 5.3 Suburban. Here's some info.
Within the past month or two, I've started to experience a puff of smoke on start up.
Not everytime but only after sitting. like overnight as an example. clears up after starting. No smoke otherwise. Truck now has 152K miles.
Half a can of Seafoam in crankcase seems to have cured the issue but I still have gotten a smaller puff one or two times since.

Anyway, is the catch can supposed to mitigate this issue or is it just to stop vented oil?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine is sucking oil out of the engine by way of an inop PVC system and burning it, it will eventually start sticking the piston rings, thus puffing smoke on startup. Also, if the pvc system is inop for whatever reason, oil is more likely to get past the valve seals and into the combustion chamber and cause the smoke at startup. If this is the case? a catch can is a bandaid on the real problem.

We bought our 07 6.2 Denali 2+ yrs ago w/132k miles. It was leaking and burning 1 oz of oil every 100 miles. The first thing I did was install my $25 catch can. It was catching a lot of oil. Then I discovered GM TSB# 10-01-06-008M.

https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

I installed the improved driver side valve cover, GM# 12570427, and did a 2 day long piston/combustion chamber soak with Gunk Motor Medic. I also replaced the engine rear main seal that was leaking. Now at 164k miles the engine doesn't consume any oil. The catch can then and now collects very little of anything. I left it in place to be a "canary in a coal mine".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep