Official oem/replica wheel thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did any of you that went for larger diameter wheels also regear? I'm finding going to bigger wheels/tires is killing my power. :(

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did any of you that went for larger diameter wheels also regear? I'm finding going to bigger wheels/tires is killing my power. :(

Did you get tires sized to maintain the overall diameter? Keeping the overall diameter the same as the stock OD will minimize the need for gears. The weight of the wheels becomes the factor, though.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get tires sized to maintain the overall diameter? Keeping the overall diameter the same as the stock OD will minimize the need for gears. The weight of the wheels becomes the factor, though.
When we added bigger tires to the Suburban, it didn't seem to matter -- but it has 4.10 gears. My Silverado came to me with 33.2" wheels, and stock they were 30.5". It is such a dog because of it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we added bigger tires to the Suburban, it didn't seem to matter -- but it has 4.10 gears. My Silverado came to me with 33.2" wheels, and stock they were 30.5". It is such a dog because of it.

Yeah, that's quite a difference. One step up in gear ratio would fix that. Gonna need the PCM reprogrammed accordingly, though. Or (blashemy!) go one step down in wheel size with appropriately-sized tires.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I was gonna say I think you meant tires not wheels lol. It’s not much of a power difference for a couple inches worth regearing imo. But as far as wheels I’ve had 20” wheels , 22” , 26” and like @iamdub the weight is a big difference even tho the tire size is the same height, but my Tahoe is all stock and it still has plenty of power.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant the previous owner went from 245/75R16E to 275/70R18. The total diameter went from 30.5 to 33.2 inches, killing my powerband. And, yeah, I have considered smaller rims and tires vs. regearing, but everything has a price associated with it. :( My immediate plan is to get a custom tune and see how much that ameliorates my issue, and then see about regearing as needed. According to the chart on this page I either need to drop to a 32 inch diameter or upgrade to 3.91 gears, at a minimum.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto...NQKBDnTn4kiOp3jzOnCFJO0u-U7FLDpsX3NRGgrj4hZt8

I currently have 3.73 gears.

Also, my truck is rocking a 4L80E, so the transmission itself is geared a little high (at least in first gear). So I have room for improvement in multiple areas <sigh>.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011