OEM suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2016 Yukon Denali XL and she is just cresting 78K miles with it. I have recently notice some very poor handling and suspension cycling coming from what appears to be mainly the passenger front. We have owned the rig since new so we are well aware how it has been handling for the last 77k miles. While it has never had that "Cadillac" ride quality (pretty sure my Ram 1500 rides better), it has certainly been plenty good enough for us and any of our passengers. I did put a 1.5" suspension maxx leveling kit on it a while back (maybe 20-30k miles ago), which did not change the ride quality at all. But again, recently that ride quality appears to have substantially gone down hill. And best I can tell, it is mainly the front passenger corner with the issue. I just had knee surgery, so I have not driven it lately... just rode in the passenger seat. I also can not go out and remove a tire and look for any visible issues at the moment.

My main question is what are my options as far as suspension repairs/upgrades go? Obviously I could replace the original stuff with more OEM stuff, which would be acceptable I suppose, but is there any upgrades available out there? Seems like anything aftermarket with the Magnetic ride is hard to come by. Most of the suspension kits I have seen re-use the factory strut, so those are out of the question. I personally would like to keep the front at factory height and lower the back a few inches, but she won long ago (I guess it is her rig) and I had to lift the front to level it off. So really, anything that would put it back to close to original height (maybe a smidge higher, or a smidge lower). And I am not totally against getting rid of the Magnetic ride, as long as it is feasible price wise and dosnt throw any codes.

Anybody with some info for me please spill the beans! Links, pics, websites... do's and dont's ... any info would be great! Thanks!

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto. Better warranty and cheaper than GM.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also reach out to Tony @NORCAL SS he is the suspension guru especially if you want to upgrade the ride quality

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2016 Yukon Denali XL and she is just cresting 78K miles with it. I have recently notice some very poor handling and suspension cycling coming from what appears to be mainly the passenger front. We have owned the rig since new so we are well aware how it has been handling for the last 77k miles.

Check the end links on the swaybar. There are 4 rubber bushings on each side, see if they are still there and intact. If the wheels aren't too wide, you might be able to check by just turning the steering wheel hard over and look in the wheel well from behind.

OP
OP
olyelr

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto. Better warranty and cheaper than GM.

I have heard of it, I will check them out there. Thanks.

Also reach out to Tony @NORCAL SS he is the suspension guru especially if you want to upgrade the ride quality

Ah yes, the famous Tony lol. If I get serious into something aftermarket, I will surely be picking his brain. Thanks.

Check the end links on the swaybar. There are 4 rubber bushings on each side, see if they are still there and intact. If the wheels aren't too wide, you might be able to check by just turning the steering wheel hard over and look in the wheel well from behind.

We are still running the factory 22’s. I will see what I can find with the wheel still in place. Thanks!

OP
OP
olyelr

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, its been almost 4 weeks since surgery and I am still on crutches, but had enough gumption to go out and remove a tire for a looksie. Sure enough, there is a lot of an oil/grease type substance all under the coilover shock shroud. I am guessing this is not supposed to be there, and is most likely an indication that the shock is blown out. Correct?

Also, would it be silly to not replace the other side as well? Im the type that thinks if this one is shot, the other one may be on its last leg also. I would rather deal with them both at the same time, then have to do the other side a few months down the road.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, its been almost 4 weeks since surgery and I am still on crutches, but had enough gumption to go out and remove a tire for a looksie. Sure enough, there is a lot of an oil/grease type substance all under the coilover shock shroud. I am guessing this is not supposed to be there, and is most likely an indication that the shock is blown out. Correct?

Correct.

Also, would it be silly to not replace the other side as well? Im the type that thinks if this one is shot, the other one may be on its last leg also. I would rather deal with them both at the same time, then have to do the other side a few months down the road.

Shocks/struts are like brakes. You should always replace shocks in axle pairs—both sides, unless the other side is brand new. Then both should have been replaced anyway.