OEM Navigation 2019 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Hill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use CarPlay and google maps also. I know it will give you the audio directions with Bluetooth only, but I think it has to be plugged in to see the map on the screen.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read recently that the 2021+ vehicles radio/nav systems will be Android based so hopefully this will put an end to most of the update problems that many run into with the head units

SilverGABullet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I called the dealer and apparently I dont have the option to upgrade because I don't have and SD slot where the 2 USB connections are. Also question so I've been using android auto and it displays google maps on the screen. Is there a way that everytime I get in my truck and turn it on where it automatically connects without having it plugged in to a usb?

Not 100% sure on the android component, but for Apple CarPlay GM does not currently offer that technology. There are other manufacturers that are starting to use it more and more (BMW, MINI, Audi?). I give it 4-5 years before the technology you are talking about is fully universal in GM's lineup.

In short: Our trucks do not have that technology.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure on the android component, but for Apply CarPlay GM does not currently offer that technology. There are other manufacturers that are starting to use it more and more (BMW, MINI, Audi?). I give it 4-5 years before the technology you are talking about is fully universal in GM's lineup.

In short: Our trucks do not have that technology.

CarPlay technology?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the oem nav and it sucks vs the nav in my 13. I now plug into android auto and use google maps (really cool in satallite view) or waze which are way better. It charges your phone as well, plus controls music streaming. I wish I had installed AA from get go as I went on a 1500 mile road trip when new, and was extremely frustrated with the oem nav the whole time...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Any factory head unit with DVD navigation is almost obsolete as soon as it’s introduced. You’re enslaved to purchase Nav update Discs.

I reluctantly admitted this to myself when using Android or Apple based phone integration Nav. The 18 Dodge & Burb I drove with both versions are lightning responsive, almost immune to theft and can download their own sw updates to ensure their longevity.

Why are sw updates key? Who would of figured the PS3 I got my kid in 2007 could have software enable features that did not exist when new ... download games, then rent & purchase movies and later a cloud based DVR & TV tuner 5 years before Amazon Firestick TV. So 12 years of software updates kept an old PS3 useful until 4K DVD came out with 4K streaming. Laughable! The PS3 paid for itself 10 or 20x over by simply cutting the cord on SAT & Cable tv services.

The ability to integrate Pandora, personal music content, stream 4K content to onboard, existing & integrated 4K, built in monitors allows you to spend $ on tech that has a viable lifespan.

The factory head with AA or Appleplay is the best option for most because of it’s sw updates and stealth factor to poachers. With 5g cell service coming, plan on hardware that may be able to support it. Get ready for OnStar to go obsolete on 4g like it did with analog cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ctahoe09

ctahoe09

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a samsung S8 and just have it on wifi connected and leave it plugged in at all times as I hate that I have to continuously unplug and plu in my phone everytime I step out of my tahoe... my question is since it is only in a usb can I still have my regular phone connected via bluetooth to make calls?

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a samsung S8 and just have it on wifi connected and leave it plugged in at all times as I hate that I have to continuously unplug and plu in my phone everytime I step out of my tahoe... my question is since it is only in a usb can I still have my regular phone connected via bluetooth to make calls?
Interesting - just leave it behind the screen to run AA - did this work? I find the AA turns on my BT when I connect, but not sure it has to. Even an old S5 could do this (kids got my old S8s)...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos