OEM Nav/Radio plugs in the rear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. that is weird. My radio keeps the time alright, what is weir though is that it doesn't change driving into another timezone. It being a NAV radio, with GPS, I would expect that.

I wonder if that radio 'completely' gets shut off and keeps some info in battery backed up ram. Is there anything else that gets reset? Like the GPS presets?

Ron

I am not using the GPS or the Nav so I have no idea but all the radio presets stay and do not flash out?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not using the GPS or the Nav so I have no idea but all the radio presets stay and do not flash out?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

wait, so all your radio presets stay... but the clock forgets its time? that is weird.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly correct so welcome to my world of WTF?????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

I just remembered, when I disconnect the battery, the radio station stay 'programmed', but the clock resets.

I have the impression your radio doesn't get powered off, but power to is cut.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just remembered, when I disconnect the battery, the radio station stay 'programmed', but the clock resets.

I have the impression your radio doesn't get powered off, but power to is cut.

Ron

Well considering that the only thing hooked up right now is the plug and play conversion harness the issue is probably going to be in the radio itself. When I had Matt's harness it kept cutting off and coming back on and then just cutting out and I had to turn it back on. Now with the original harness it no longer cuts out but it resets the clock every time I start the truck. If I turn the radio off at like the drive-in window and then turn it back on the clock does not lose the time but if I turn the truck off and open the door it turns off like it should but the clock resets. Weird!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well considering that the only thing hooked up right now is the plug and play conversion harness the issue is probably going to be in the radio itself. When I had Matt's harness it kept cutting off and coming back on and then just cutting out and I had to turn it back on. Now with the original harness it no longer cuts out but it resets the clock every time I start the truck. If I turn the radio off at like the drive-in window and then turn it back on the clock does not lose the time but if I turn the truck off and open the door it turns off like it should but the clock resets. Weird!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Well ... when you turn off the radio, that's exactly what happens, you turn the radio off. BUT you don't cut power to it. Somehow, when you turn off the car, the power to it gets cut off too.

I am starting to wonder if your SSV/PPV's harness was modified to accommodate some equipment that needed to be shut off (no power) when the car wasn't running.

The radio, factory, is spliced into the dash harness and one access point is the box near the brake pedal (where you splice in the VSS lead). I'd check if there's some polish wiring going on there.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ... when you turn off the radio, that's exactly what happens, you turn the radio off. BUT you don't cut power to it. Somehow, when you turn off the car, the power to it gets cut off too.

I am starting to wonder if your SSV/PPV's harness was modified to accommodate some equipment that needed to be shut off (no power) when the car wasn't running.

The radio, factory, is spliced into the dash harness and one access point is the box near the brake pedal (where you splice in the VSS lead). I'd check if there's some polish wiring going on there.

Ron

That is not really going to be an issue since if you remember when I first installed this radio it worked Perfectly for about a week! If there was wiring issues with the truck I would have had problems from day one. I have a police wiring expert working on my vehicle to restore all the police lights and equipment for show purposes so if there was any wiring issues with the police stuff he would have found it by now as he has repaired or replaced most of the wiring already.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy