Odd sensation on acceleration from full stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: took it into the shop. Had the most experienced tech take a look.

The front differential bushings are perfectly fine. What is shot?

The motor mounts.

Funny thing is that I did the motor mount test in my driveway, and didn't think I saw much engine movement. But when he did it? It looked like the engine moved way more than I thought. I don't know why I didn't see it. He also explained that's why I feel the thump/lurch when accelerating, and why I'm hearing the clanking noise randomly.

I've set an appointment to get the pinion seal and both motor mounts changed Tuesday.
keep an eye on that pinion seal after it is done, if it starts leaking again within a month or two there could be other internal problems, just saying keep a heads up it's cheaper to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Update: took it into the shop. Had the most experienced tech take a look.

The front differential bushings are perfectly fine. What is shot?

The motor mounts.

Funny thing is that I did the motor mount test in my driveway, and didn't think I saw much engine movement. But when he did it? It looked like the engine moved way more than I thought. I don't know why I didn't see it. He also explained that's why I feel the thump/lurch when accelerating, and why I'm hearing the clanking noise randomly.

I've set an appointment to get the pinion seal and both motor mounts changed Tuesday.

Gonna use the solid Hummer ones for replacements?

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep an eye on that pinion seal after it is done, if it starts leaking again within a month or two there could be other internal problems, just saying keep a heads up it's cheaper to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Roger that. It's exactly why I'm doing this right now, so that it doesn't turn into a super expensive mistake later.

Gonna use the solid Hummer ones for replacements?

Precisely. The Hummer H3 ones. Got them ordered on Amazon and shipped for tomorrow delivery.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: this story has a happy ending, folks. It was indeed the motor mounts; they were pretty much destroyed. I had the shop replace both mounts and fix the leaking pinion seal. Here are pics of the old ones right before the shop tossed them.

20190903_163220.jpg 20190903_163208.jpg 20190903_163152.jpg 20190903_163150.jpg

The thump is completely resolved, and there is no clanking when going over bumps any longer. :):)

Many thanks to all you guys for helping me through this, especially @Doubeleive! Major props to you sir!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: this story has a happy ending, folks. It was indeed the motor mounts; they were pretty much destroyed. I had the shop replace both mounts and fix the leaking pinion seal. Here are pics of the old ones right before the shop tossed them.

View attachment 229908 View attachment 229909 View attachment 229910 View attachment 229911

The thump is completely resolved, and there is no clanking when going over bumps any longer. :):)

Many thanks to all you guys for helping me through this, especially @Doubeleive! Major props to you sir!

Next time, when you test some motor mounts, you F-IN' TEST THEM! Get on that throttle! :bleh:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would check the control arm mounts real close. The ball joints of course but maybe a lose or worn out mount where they attach to the frame area. The turn left and over a bump noise contributes to my concerns. Maybe even look to be sure there is no problem at the rack mounts.

Sorry, updated thread while I was typing this in. Congrats on the fix.

By the way I also agree that when checking motor mounts for problems, I have a friend hold ******* the brakes and "goose" the throttle pretty hard to see how much the engine will lift on each side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2