Odd remote start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Had factory remote start added to my 08 Hoe a while back,and it's been an issue ever since I got it,just couldn't be bothered to deal with it. Long story short,remote start won't work after the truck has been sitting for a while,lights will flash and the check engine light will come on. Insert key to start normally,CEL goes away and runs just fine. No codes throwing or pending. Immediately after turning off truck and locking the remote start will work no issues,but if it sits for any period of time no joy. Maybe some sort of immobilization issue? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I would let it sit to produce the problem and when the check engine light comes on I would try and check it before starting the truck.

Perhaps it's a battery issue. Maybe sitting for a while the battery isn't fully charged and perhaps the remote start checks the voltage before allowing it to start and if it is not within a certain range it won't allow remote starting.

All of this ^^^ is merely hypothetical... perhaps checking the battery with a volt meter after it has sat for a while (when it would normally act up) prior to remote starting and then check it again before remote starting (when you don't expect it to act up) might reveal something... OR then again maybe not... lol

Just throwing out ideas.

I do know FOR A FACT that if you have a CEL on, the remote start will not work.

OP
OP
C

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Thanks,I'll start there! Didn't even think of that being a possibility

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if the CEL is on then the remote start will NOT start the truck. Something is obviously causing an issue after it sits for a while. Maybe battery voltage like mentioned, or maybe something like fuel pressure. You need to get that code pulled to get an idea though. Until you know what code is being triggered, you will be clueless.

OP
OP
C

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Well I'm clueless as it is,but that's besides the point. Haha. I'll dig out the old OBD Duece reader

OP
OP
C

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
No codes. What's interesting is it kicks the CEL on for about 30 seconds then it goes out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another example of why everyone should own a Tech2! It can see things a code reader cannot. I suspect something wasn't programmed or programmed properly when the remote start was added. Is this the 2-way or standard version?

OP
OP
C

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Standard. Yeah,guess it's time to make an appointment at the Stealership

OP
OP
C

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread...life has gotten in the way of taking care of my Hoe. Finally took it into a shop today,they said my key fob isn’t communicating with the remote starter once the truck has been sitting any longer than just having been shut off...they are suspecting a faulty BCM or a bad remote. Thoughts?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread...life has gotten in the way of taking care of my Hoe. Finally took it into a shop today,they said my key fob isn’t communicating with the remote starter once the truck has been sitting any longer than just having been shut off...they are suspecting a faulty BCM or a bad remote. Thoughts?

Might be the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) instead, a bi-directional scan tool and the shop manual is needed to find out and not guess.