Odd misfire at idle on 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A running datalog using a OBD2 scan tool is probably the only way your gonna catch the problem in the act. That is If you know what part to monitor and include in the running log. It sounds like we don't know specifically anything at this point.

Some of the sensor tests won't necessarily prompt the PCM to throw a CEL/MIL unless the PCM sees repeated failed tests which usually varies depending on component criticality. The emissions readiness test for instance is a go/no- go test for sensors mandatory for the PCM to calculate and pass basic emissions standards.

I would get the PCM read for all codes in memory ...including "pending" codes.
And I would be surprised if there weren't any helpful clues in there to help pinpoint the system, circuit or hopefully even a specific part that is intermittently failing which is what it sounds like. unless you find this process comfortable to perform yourself ...your next step ( in my line of thought) should be to find a trusted vehicle diagnostiics shop or tech in your area and make an appointment asap. If it is an actual misfire it could cause damage to the catalytic converter over time. That's not a cheap part of the exhaust you want to part with given your vehicles young age.

P.S.. You might be covered under your emissions warranty if the problem is related. So keep your test results, receipts and try and record any conversations with any mechanics, service writers, shop managers or the like. Good luck with your results. Happy holidays!

Last edited: