Occasional transmission slip from complete stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
clandr1

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible you have a sticking valve. How do you know the tranny is not slipping? Is the fluid pink, orange or brown? Does it smell burnt?

The fluid has always been in good shape (pink, no burning smell) when I've drained or checked it. I've taken good care of the truck and have changed the fluid and filter approximately every 50k miles.

How would I go about remedying a sticking valve?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid has always been in good shape (pink, no burning smell) when I've drained or checked it. I've taken good care of the truck and have changed the fluid and filter approximately every 50k miles.

How would I go about remedying a sticking valve?
Since you said your tranny is the original and has never been rebuilt, I would say that your transmissions valve body has not gotten any of the updates that have came out since your model year. There were many. The valves which are controlled by solenoids are located in the valve body which is what your transmission filter plugs into. So the valve body sits directly above your filter when laying on your back looking up at the tranny with its pan off. Call up atleast 3 transmission shops and ask each of them how many valve body updates there have been since your model year. Get a estimate for the performance of all valve body updates. This does NOT require removal of tranny. If any of them just blurt out over the phone that you need a rebuild....RUN!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts