Obs Gas Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sekani's 96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Know theres alot of people that have either mentioned this or have heard about it.Say if i fill up my tank it will go past full like it a whole quarter of a tank lol.The only time it reads accurate is when its stopped an on a level surface,if im driving normally it will go up an when i slow down it goes down..U get the point is there a fix for this or is it just how it is..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The dancing is normal when moving with a half tank or less. There is a damper kit that was made to deal with that. As far as your reading 1-1/4 of a tank of gas the sender may just be aging if other gauging does not indicate similar amounts of increase.

OP
OP
Sekani's 96

Sekani's 96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing is it does it with any amount of gas in the truck period which sucks I just wanna kno what I do to fix it or what..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If you can perform this test.

Fuel Gauge Inaccurate
  1. Ensure terminals are clean and terminal connections are tight.
  2. Disconnect fuel tank sender connector, then connect tester J 33431-B, or equivalent, as follows:

• Connect tester red lead to purple wire of the connector, then connect the other lead of the tester to a suitable ground.

1. Set resistance dials of tester to 0 ohms and then to 90 ohms.
  2. Gauge should read low when resistance is set to 0 ohms and read full when resistance is set to 90 ohms. Allow some time for gauge to read full due to the anti-slosh device .
  3. If gauge responds accurately, check for clean mounting surface on sending unit to ensure a good ground. If ground is good, replace sending unit.
  4. If gauge does not respond accurately, check circuit between gauge and sending unit for an open or short to ground. If circuit is satisfactory, replace gauge.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is jacked too. The needle vibrates and when I still have 9 gallons in the tank it reads dead empty. This is after 2 fuel pump and senders. I have googled to the end and it may be either the stepper motor or the ECM. I will find out shortly when I replace the ECM with the 0411 swap....maybe tomorrow.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Mine is jacked too. The needle vibrates and when I still have 9 gallons in the tank it reads dead empty. This is after 2 fuel pump and senders. I have googled to the end and it may be either the stepper motor or the ECM. I will find out shortly when I replace the ECM with the 0411 swap....maybe tomorrow.

GP, If you disconnected the blue connector of of pcm you isolate the gauge signal input from the pcm with out removing power from it. If it buzzing all the time from full to empty then this method can quickly isolate the cause I think for you. Worth a shot I think. if it is still buzzing withe the power on you know it would be the gauge.

OP
OP
Sekani's 96

Sekani's 96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sunlit ill be sure to keep that in mind when i get around to it..the one of many things the tahoe needs lol

OP
OP
Sekani's 96

Sekani's 96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I figured that but thanks man so I should try replacing the sender first

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you dropping the tank in a 4 door to fix a dancing fuel gauge issue isn't going to be worth the amt of work you have to undertake ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat