OBDII chip in 2010 SSV 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBR Street Gang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not going to go into brand - I'm not here to advertise for anybody. But I just put a performance module in the OBDII port of my 2010 SSV 5.3 and am experiencing a significant immediate improvement in engine performance. There was always about a 1/2 second stumble when I accelerated from a stop - I figured it was the active fuel management system. It wasn't terrible, but you noticed. After I put this chip in, throttle response is much better, with no hesitation, and freer revs through every shift point. The truck is actually pretty quick now, and it pulls all the way to 99, where it is apparently governed. Passing on the freeway - throttle response and revs are immediate, smooth and seemingly effortless. The literature that came with the module says it should take 150 miles of driving to fully integrate, and that there are fuel mileage results as well. At this point though, you can still see the gas needle move. My test circuit was 26 miles and it appears I used an 1/8 of a tank at 8.3 mpg - this was a first test so I had my foot in it a lot. If you want the manufacturer, IM me, although I'm pretty sure the different brands are basically alike. Before the chip the Tahoe wasn't exactly fun to drive - or easy - it's a truck. My P-71 was quite a bit quicker - especially to 50. Now I think this one might have an edge.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the results of your mod. It would be nice to know the device's brand and model number, so that our collective knowledge base is increased.

You've already made it clear that you are not advertising/promoting this specific unit for anyone.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have read about a few of those and even considered it at one time but changed my mind. Thankfully I did win a drawing with BBP at Christmas time and they did a "traditional tune" to mine and it did wake up. The accel in a downshifted gear is very noticeable.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
PBR Street Gang

PBR Street Gang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the results of your mod. It would be nice to know the device's brand and model number, so that our collective knowledge base is increased.

You've already made it clear that you are not advertising/promoting this specific unit for anyone.
Performance Chips USA - "Vertex" performance chip. Makes an SSV perform like a PPV.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
I'm not going to go into brand - I'm not here to advertise for anybody. But I just put a performance module in the OBDII port of my 2010 SSV 5.3 and am experiencing a significant immediate improvement in engine performance. There was always about a 1/2 second stumble when I accelerated from a stop - I figured it was the active fuel management system. It wasn't terrible, but you noticed. After I put this chip in, throttle response is much better, with no hesitation, and freer revs through every shift point. The truck is actually pretty quick now, and it pulls all the way to 99, where it is apparently governed. Passing on the freeway - throttle response and revs are immediate, smooth and seemingly effortless. The literature that came with the module says it should take 150 miles of driving to fully integrate, and that there are fuel mileage results as well. At this point though, you can still see the gas needle move. My test circuit was 26 miles and it appears I used an 1/8 of a tank at 8.3 mpg - this was a first test so I had my foot in it a lot. If you want the manufacturer, IM me, although I'm pretty sure the different brands are basically alike. Before the chip the Tahoe wasn't exactly fun to drive - or easy - it's a truck. My P-71 was quite a bit quicker - especially to 50. Now I think this one might have an edge.
My 2008 Tahoe PPV will go way over 100 mph. Does that mean it has a tune or did mine come like that from the factory?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PPV is tuned for pursuit. It will do 139 mph. The SSV is more of a 4WD workhorse, it runs out of top end at 119 mph. They are very different trucks.
completely depends on what the limiter was set for, with the limiter turned off completely they all pretty much top out at 136-137 (civilian/ppv/ssv long or short wheel base, 2wd/4wd/awd doesn't matter) for the 5.3's, 6.2's will go a smidge more I have had mine up to 143 and it still had a little more. my old 5.3 would hit 137 and that was all she had at that point there was nothing more because of aerodynamics & weight
built engines, forced induction may have further gains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93Typhoon

Latest posts