OBD Scan Tool recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap little scan tool I picked up at Costco for my last OBD car, a VW. Now that i just picked up a 2004 Tahoe, I need to look at these again. Is a simple code reader ok, or do you really need a more complex scan tool? Does it need to be updated regularly?

Is it possible to just use an old laptop and getting software and connector?

As you can see, I am really not up on OBD since my other car is from 80s and carburated.

Thanks.

DennisW1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a cheap little scan tool I picked up at Costco for my last OBD car, a VW. Now that i just picked up a 2004 Tahoe, I need to look at these again. Is a simple code reader ok, or do you really need a more complex scan tool? Does it need to be updated regularly?

Is it possible to just use an old laptop and getting software and connector?

As you can see, I am really not up on OBD since my other car is from 80s and carburated.

Thanks.

Actron makes a nice line of them, available at places like Advance Auto. Depends on how much work you plan on doing yourself. The one I have will read the Powertrain codes and ABS system codes. More money gets you scanners that can read even more of the vehicle' systems but they're priced accordingly.

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the one you bought from costo is OBD2 then it will work for your 2004. If its obd1 then it wont.

If you need an obd2 scan tool get a Scan Gauge obd2

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was bought recently so of course it has obdii. It works fine, but I was hoping for something that might be able to get me more information. Does the tech-2 give you more specific info as to a trouble code?

I just pulled a 0171 code (fuel too lean). What would that code look like on Tech2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts