OBD 2 codes and operation OF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Douglas Friedberg

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both connection tubes 5/16. And 3/8 steel output lines of pump where rotted and cracked almost in half. Thanks for the details of operation. So are they using 5 bolts or 12 vdc operating that valve.
So the vent valve is n/o and forced closed by system. Is the BBC answer why it’s hot to the touch.

OP
OP
Douglas Friedberg

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry have a bad habit of posting without rereading and finding big fingers mistakes and sir ******* up word corrections. But thanks for info
Leaving a plug to a component off won’t stop the codes, because it’s always operating the valves and reading the pressure sensors to see if the tank pressure behaves as it should.

If I understood your post correctly it worked for some time after replacing the two valves, then the error returned. Which makes me ask were these OEM parts or aftermarket?

There are some excellent videos on YouTube about testing evaporative emissions systems using a bidirectional scanner, which IMO should be done prior to chasing a leak with smoke. The testing with the scanner will tell you if each valve operates properly and if the entire system holds pressure or in actuality has a leaking valve or leak elsewhere.

The Tech2 scanner is used by enthusiasts here; dealers or any shop worth doing business with will have a capable scanner.

When the purge valve on mine failed it behaved similarly to yours. Sometimes it was working for enough cycles the code would clear. Then it would leak again and I’d get the code back.
my intent was to close system if it where n/c valve my
Unplugging it. But found that it’s a n/o valve so that kills that idea. But interesting was that while I did get code of failed valve and evap code did not come back on until I plugged vent valve back in a week or so later.

OP
OP
Douglas Friedberg

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both connection tubes 5/16. And 3/8 steel output lines of pump where rotted and cracked almost in half.
Well end result after replacing fuel pump and by the way pump works find just tubes rotted off after 245,000 original miles on pump, 2006 date coded 2005 on pump, hey that lasted awhile i guess. I had to go through 3 gas caps as well even new one was a dud. Vehicle pass emissions hear in Chicago was a vehicle outside the area that never needed testing so they got me now. All was ready. Now on to fixing some of the non related issues.
I have to cut out ac high side line over right rear wheel to fix some major freon leaks so iam going to replace about 3 ft of it. AC does work but tube rott and O rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan