O2 Sensor Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a traditional tune. I have a swapped in LQ9.

About 10 days ago I had 6.0 dual cats & Magnaflow Escalade/Denali 15734 cat-back installed (from 5.3 y-pipe and basically factory exhaust). Immediately got a CEL. Replaced front O2 sensors and problem corrected. Took two trips totaling close to 1000 miles. Zero issues.

A week later CEL reappeared, along with mpg loss of about 1.5-2.0 and slightly reduced power. Code was for Bank 2 low converter efficiency. Replaced PS (bank 2) post cat O2 sensor (with a used one). Power and crazy good mileage returned almost immediately. About 24 hours later, CEL popped up again...ugh. Muffler shop said it would likely recur, and it did.

6.0 cats are from an 04 Denali with verified 68K miles.
Is my PS (bank 2) converter toast?
Should I try a new bank 2 rear O2 sensor?
Should I send in my ECM to get O2 sensor delete? If so, just the rear two?

I reused the 5.3 O2 sensors because the connectors on the 6.0 sensors were different. It looks like all four 5.3 O2 sensors are identical (same connector).

New normal mpg has been around 16-16.5 at 70 with cruise. With CEL on, it is 15-15.5. After replaced rear Passenger Side O2 sensor (w/used), mpg shot up to 18.5 at 70 with restored power...then a CEL and back down to low 15 mpg. It is slowly climbing back up towards 17, but power seems slightly off and CEL is still on.

I'd rather not throw money at it for new cats or take it to a dealer. What would you suggest?

I think that the long term solution is a 6.0-specific bank 2 exhaust manifold (w/o-ring, not donut), another used bank 2 mid-pipe w/cat and new rear O2 sensors, or perhaps rear O2 sensor delete.

My goal (obviously) is 1. max power, 2. mpg and 3. without any codes.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There must be something else going on, as a rear 02 sensor can't increase your performance, as they only monitor cat efficiency. I suspect a failing cat converter.

OP
OP
jough

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would turning off the rear O2 sensors in the ECM do anything?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have a rear problem with your cat converters, turning off the 02s would just be turning a blind eye.

OP
OP
jough

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Mr. Gasket product called "CATACLEAN" which is available at most of the big chains. So far it is working...4 cold starts without a CEL.

I poured in one can with about 6 gallons in tank and ran on freeway for about 30-40 miles before adding more gas when low fuel light came on. Then did the same thing with another can the next day. This is slightly different than the instructions on the can...more driving. Tailpipe sure did clean up.

I got a Harbor Freight scan tool to read and delete the P430 code.

EDIT: Nevermind, P430 is reappearing...ugh.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne