Now What?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Yes, all you hear is the whoosh of the exhaust air, no other sounds really.

Well, I guess the collapsed lifter cannot be completely ruled out. In my experience, a ticking lifter does not necessarily mean a collapsed lifter.

Don't hear anything amiss when the listening probe touches the manifolds or heads or valve cover bolts. The noise resonates through the injectors and is loudest at #4. I did not get a chance to put the probe under the manifolds at the head, would like to do that or even a piece of paper to see if the exhaust blows on it.

Very sore today and it is gorgeous out, so have been fiddling in the garage enjoying the weather and trying to rest my eye balls.

Right or wrong about the lifter/exhaust leak i respect your "throwing caution to the wind" and taking the wife out for a ride into the "unknown" She must have a wild side to her also and it is theraputic to exercise our ability to say "F'it im in" and have the risk work out as yours did. What is all the pain from?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An exhaust manifold leak is commonly mistaken for lifter noise on this engine. True story, my personal experience and verified on YouTube.

Got a link to that video?

I just now started it up via remote start. Quiet as a mouse for about 5 seconds and then the tapping could be heard. It was not as loud as in days past, or my hearing is getting worse!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right or wrong about the lifter/exhaust leak i respect your "throwing caution to the wind" and taking the wife out for a ride into the "unknown" She must have a wild side to her also and it is theraputic to exercise our ability to say "F'it im in" and have the risk work out as yours did. What is all the pain from?

Ran perfect down to Indiantown and back today. Was fairly quiet after start up as mentioned earlier, was more pronounced right before I shut it off after we returned. After all the work we just did to this thing I really don't want to spend any more time and energy on it right now.

The pain is from life I guess John. Getting old, getting over the Wuhan Flu, from working on the car, etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@swathdiver, I know exactly what you mean. At 68 years old I am just not motivated to crawl around on the ground and work on my rig. Thankfully, my friend owns a shop and he meets me there on a Sunday and I can work or he helps as well. Has lifts and right equipment and even then, walking around on concrete for a long period of time or even just putting my body thru some of the contortions I get in to, my body just hurts. Costs more out of my pocket for labor help and shop time but I am way more comfortable after a day on the rig.

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now this may sound far fetched but my 6.0 has had the loudest lifter tick I've ever heard. I changed the oil added Lucas treatments but still tick tick tick well the check engine light started blinking the other day and usually that means the converters are clogged up so just for s**** and giggles I climbed up underneath there with my unibit enjoy a big a******* right in front of the converter where it bevels from 3-in to whatever 5-in and fired it up yeah it's got a loud exhaust Now because the whole but the ticking actually from that that side of the motor that I was hearing is completely gone. And I need to talk to a exhaust shop and see if that's something that I clogged converter does cause I mean it kind of makes sense at the exhaust can't get out and it's building up pressure in the head maybe it'll tick. But even with the loud and sound from that big a******* in there it idles way smoother and purse like a kitten at the motor like it used to

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now this may sound far fetched but my 6.0 has had the loudest lifter tick I've ever heard. I changed the oil added Lucas treatments but still tick tick tick well the check engine light started blinking the other day and usually that means the converters are clogged up so just for s**** and giggles I climbed up underneath there with my unibit enjoy a big a******* right in front of the converter where it bevels from 3-in to whatever 5-in and fired it up yeah it's got a loud exhaust Now because the whole but the ticking actually from that that side of the motor that I was hearing is completely gone. And I need to talk to a exhaust shop and see if that's something that I clogged converter does cause I mean it kind of makes sense at the exhaust can't get out and it's building up pressure in the head maybe it'll tick. But even with the loud and sound from that big a******* in there it idles way smoother and purse like a kitten at the motor like it used to
My guess is that your lifter tick wasn't a lifter but instead a leak at the exhaust manifold. Those studs break and when they do, the exhaust leak sounds exactly like a lifter tick.

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that your lifter tick wasn't a lifter but instead a leak at the exhaust manifold. Those studs break and when they do, the exhaust leak sounds exactly like a lifter tick.
Oh yeah it definitely has an exhaust leak when it's cold but goes away when warmed up. The manifolds have a few broken bolts. But this tick sounded like the lifters but who knows, it could have been exhaust because the converter was clogged and it had mad pressure going to it. The real way I found out the converter was clogged was a piece of cardboard fell down between the cab in the bed and I got out of the truck luckily I was going back to get something out of the toolbox when I seen it, the truck was on fire big old ass flame was coming out from behind the back window between the bed. The cardboard had landed on the converter and since it was clogged I guess it was getting so damn hot it was able to light the cardboard on fire which means it was probably glowing it was so hot lol but this is on my '06 Silverado work truck

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah it definitely has an exhaust leak when it's cold but goes away when warmed up. The manifolds have a few broken bolts. But this tick sounded like the lifters but who knows,
I could have swore mine was a bad lifter, it sounded just like it. My kids thought it was an exhaust leak after pour over youtube videos of both. I could not work on it in this heat and took it to a mechanic. The exhaust manifold flange had warped and we had no broken bolts. The mechanic planed the surface smooth and put it back in. I have not really driven the truck since to check the fuel trims but it's on my list of things to do. Since I've owned this thing, she's always struggled to get zero on the trims.

Yours might have gotten so bad as to throw the flashing lights, who knows. If your cats are bad, you'll get specific P0420 and P0430 codes for those if you have the downstream O2 sensors still working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts