Normal Oil Consumption? 09 Yukon Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

savagebasher

Reaction score
I know this topic is beat to death at times but wanted to share my current situation.

2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 FlexFuel with 147k (no AFM for this year)

I bought it back in August with 141k miles. It is a spare vehicle. I did oil change with Amsoil Signature at that time. In October at about 143k it was a 1qt low. I randomly checked the oil today and it did not even register on the stick and took 2qts.. yikes. So it seems I am averaging 1qt about every 1500-2000 miles. Does this seem excessive?

Also to note, the oil and antifreeze appear clean. And no leaks present at valve covers or underneath. However, I do periodically see a little blue smoke and sweet smell on initial startup. it is not very often though and never notice when driving.

Thoughts? My initial thinking is maybe valve stem\guide seals?

Reaction score
I know this topic is beat to death at times but wanted to share my current situation.

I bought it back in August with 141k miles. It is a spare vehicle. I did oil change with Amsoil Signature at that time. In October at about 143k it was a 1qt low. I randomly checked the oil today and it did not even register on the stick and took 2qts.. yikes. So it seems I am averaging 1qt about every 1500-2000 miles. Does this seem excessive?

Also to note, the oil and antifreeze appear clean. And no leaks present at valve covers or underneath. However, I do periodically see a little blue smoke and sweet smell on initial startup. it is not very often though and never notice when driving.

Could be the crappy valve cover PCV baffle design that allows excessive amounts of oil into the intake. GM redesigned the valve cover PCV system in 2011 I believe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
savagebasher

savagebasher

Reaction score
Thanks all.. I will keep an eye on it. I just had the motor mounts done and the mechanic said he did not notice any leakage anywhere so that is good. I am a bit surprised there would be no leaks though given the consumption and clean oil and antifreeze overall.

I suppose as long as I keep oil it in it should just push on without issue?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It seems excessive to me. I think there are a number of reasons an engine will start using oil, so take my story with a grain of salt.

Mine is a 2007 Yukon 5.3L flex/AFM engine. Similar symptoms (including at the end, a low idle miss). Along the way of being told 1 qt every 2K miles was within specs (something I never believed), getting an updated valve cover (known problem), new plugs, she ran smooth but still had the oil consumption. We tried unsticking the rings with a solvent treatment to no avail, still a qt every 2K miles or so. GM stepped up with new pistons/rings/etc. (not bad for a 95K engine) and the oil consumption went to essentially zero from that point on.

I am no engineer, but my assumption is the stuck ring(s) was caused by excessive oil being introduced into the combustion chamber by the faulty valve cover/PCV design. Once stuck the rings let more oil past, which started the downward cycle. Perhaps things were past the tipping point before the valve cover was updated (ring already solidly stuck). In any case, oil consumption has gone to essentially zero between changes, 3.5 years and counting.

I just ordered an oil catch can that I will install as well. Given my current oil consumption, I don't expect to see a lot in the catch can. But I think it will give me a pretty good "canary in the coal mine" indicator if I started pumping oil again in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts