Non starting 1999 tahoe 2 door 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Terry Deason

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Always worth rechecking. I've had the gauge on dozens of times, and if not secured properly will show no or low fuel pressure, but then it's usually coming out the adapter.

You could have fuel coming out the lines at the filter, but not enough pressure to get it to the rail.

If no or low pressure (should be around 60 at the rail like @exp500 said), then replace the pump. Get an ACDelco GFV pump. It's a slight upgrade over the GFU pump. Got mine at 1A Auto for a good price, and make sure to shop around. Some places overcharge.

In the how to replace fuel pump it says to get a pump as you have but you are saying get the GFV. Which is correct?

OP
OP
T

Terry Deason

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Big Foot it says in the how to replace fuel pump to get the same pump you have by looking for GFV or GFU. I don't know but I guess you know right?

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Foot it says in the how to replace fuel pump to get the same pump you have by looking for GFV or GFU. I don't know but I guess you know right?

I have the GFV pump. I did this research years ago, but from what I recall, the GFV was the better option. Has something to do with the sending unit not burning up during times of low fuel, I believe.

OP
OP
T

Terry Deason

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so I got a different fuel gauge and am reading 62 psi on the fuel gauge when the key is first turned on. The truck won't start. if I pour gas into the throttle body it will start and run for 2 0r 3 seconds.. Are there any other checks I can make at this point to find the cause of the problem?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you think you have spark, and no fuel even though you have 62#. No codes except p0307. Change dist cap. Delco or United DCR820X only. Check for burn thru near coil terminal. Coil wire possible too. Nearly anything else should throw a code.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace or remove the distributor? Like exp500 said, sounds like no, or incorrect, spark

OP
OP
T

Terry Deason

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I replaced the dist. cap and rotor with stock OEM parts. I do have spark as the truck will run with the amount of gas poured into the throttle body.If it is at the right time I don't know.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I replaced the dist. cap and rotor with stock OEM parts. I do have spark as the truck will run with the amount of gas poured into the throttle body.If it is at the right time I don't know.

Not just the cap and rotor, but did you pull the entire distributor out?

OP
OP
T

Terry Deason

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not just the cap and rotor, but did you pull the entire distributor out?
No did not pull the distributor. After I had the code po307 I replaced the dist. cap and rotor and it cleared that code. And I did drive the truck after doing that and it ran fine that day but would not start the next day. No codes have been set since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew