1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Noise in accelerating"

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by YukonXLPerson, Sep 15, 2020.

1. YukonXLPerson

YukonXLPerson TYF Newbie

Name:
    Katrina
    I sent a 2018 Yukon XL Denali to an independent mechanic today for a pre-buy inspection. His report came back positive with no red or yellow flags. His only negative was a "noise in acceleration" and suspects heat shield vibration, as did the master tech in their garage. A google search shows this is a common problem for GM, and specifically includes older Yukons. Looking for advice about whether this is a fixable problem, or if it's a problem to walk away from. Or maybe it's not the heat shield? Any other ideas of acceleration noise for this model year? They're confident it's not a transmission issue. I live 3.5 hours away so it's not easy for me to hear for myself.

2. hcvone

hcvone Full Access Member

Name:
    Carl
    You can also get "noise" in the cat converter. This can be checked with someone in the truck and put the truck up on the lift and put it in drive and track where the noise is coming from, make sure it's not the trans, or the diffs or transfer case. I have had 18 plus GM suv's with 4 or all wheel drive, never hear anytning except exhaust ;)

3. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    You or the mechanic may be able to replicate the noise by beating on everything underneath with your fist or soft mallet. Things I've encountered are heat shield bolts-not tight or over torqued and stripped, O2 sensors- the top collar where the wires come in are somehow loose/defective or as mentioned above, either the cats, resonator, flapper, muffler, etc. have an internal rattle. All of these may cause more of a buzz than rattle. Check exhaust hanger brackets for missing/worn insulators. Make sure the spare tire, jack and lug wrench are sucked up tight. If it's pinging or detonating, it may need some seafoam or similar product. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    ya tell the dealer your findings and have them put a tech on it, doesn't take many brains to get under it and smack on stuff to find the source

Miami-Dade and PNW VietVet like this.