Noise and Rattle under my Tahoe (video) 2002 NBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, Got a bad rattle and clanking noise coming from undernearth the Tahoe. Seems that the front driveshaft spins and then stops spinning (tahoe is in 2wd 2Hi). When the front driveshaft stops spinning quickly, it makes an awful noise. Sounds like it's coming from the T Case but I'm not familiar with the T Case and/or if that is actually the problem.

I put a Gopro under the Tahoe:

Hopefully someone can recognize this sound and give me some guidance on what to do next. I'm handy and have worked on my Tahoe for 7 years but never had this issue.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being the front shaft keeps stop spinning when rolling. id think the t case is blown up. or maybe the front diff. shaft should be always spinning. 2wd or 4wd.

have you tried putting it in 4hi or low yet?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My man went all GOPRO on that Tahoe!

Check your fluid level in your Tcase. You might find it low or empty.
The sound appears to be either a bearing in the Tcase or the chain stretched and smacking the Tcase. Get the front end up in the air a few inches and turn front driveshaft by hand to isolate noise to Tcase or front Diff. That noise sounds horrible and I bet its going to be catastophic if its in the Tcase and you dont park that Tahoe. The Tcase is stupid easy to rebuild and can easily be done on a weekend.

OP
OP
W

woodson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So it was my Transfer Case. Decided just to take it in mainly since I don't have the time right now. Guy said it was completely shot with a hole in it and no fluid at all.

What a shame. But is what it is.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it was my Transfer Case. Decided just to take it in mainly since I don't have the time right now. Guy said it was completely shot with a hole in it and no fluid at all.

What a shame. But is what it is.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
sounds like the chain broke inside it. when they do break, they blow a hole the size of a softball in the case. had one blow up on my old ass 80 power wagon back in the day during a blizzard worth 3-4 foot of snow. i ended up loading the bed up with 1000 lb worth of salt, and plowed with it for another 8 hrs till morning when i could start looking for a shop to replace it. dropped it off. went home to sleep, got a call 4 hrs later it was ready, and right back out for another 24 hr shift.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the chain broke inside it. when they do break, they blow a hole the size of a softball in the case. had one blow up on my old ass 80 power wagon back in the day during a blizzard worth 3-4 foot of snow. i ended up loading the bed up with 1000 lb worth of salt, and plowed with it for another 8 hrs till morning when i could start looking for a shop to replace it. dropped it off. went home to sleep, got a call 4 hrs later it was ready, and right back out for another 24 hr shift.
He likely had the infamous pump rub situation and it rubbed a 1/16" hole in the back case half which slowly leaked all of his fluid out. Bearings were ran dry and DONE. Those chains will blow a hole through the case just from being stretched from normal wear and tear. They dont even have to break a link to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64