No start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schwartzint1

Reaction score
2011 ssv. This morning I went to go to work turned my key and nothing. Lights come on strong. Radio on. No click from the starter at all. I have replaced the main battery in the last two years or so. The truck does have a secondary battery that I have not replaced. Battery shop assumed it was primarily for all of the aux stuff from when it was a pd vehicle. Maybe have had a little bit of a slow start over the last few months, but never clicking without start. Any ideas or things to look at? Ignition lock out or any common problems. I get zero clicking or anything when I turn the key. Doesn’t sound like it’s even trying to start. What’s some stuff I can try?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing on one of my PPVs. Turned out to be the starter itself, here today gone the next.

one thing I tried based on feedback on this forum was to use jumper to bypass the starter relay to see if the starter bumped at all. That can eliminate the relay as a failure point.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have one that is dead and dragging the other down. I had that happen on theothertwin. I figured which one was bad and pulled the ground off of it. The other battery worked fine until I replaced the pair a few months later.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried jumping both batteries from a charger. Still nothing. I will test them tomorrow before attacking the starter.
But did you move the auxiliary battery to the main slot and try to start the truck? Did you put a voltmeter on them?

The aux battery cannot start the truck from where it is at on a TP2 system.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But did you move the auxiliary battery to the main slot and try to start the truck? Did you put a voltmeter on them?

The aux battery cannot start the truck from where it is at on a TP2 system.
Depends if the relay is still inline. Thecopcar does not have a relay, the pair are full time parallel. On theothertwin, the relay had been bypassed and I ran off the auxiliary battery.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reach under there and smack the starter with a hammer 3-4 times not enough to dent it up but enough to rattle it's teeth, if that works leave it running and go grab a starter no telling if it will work again or not.

Last edited:

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm inclined to think it's a relay or the starter. Agree with smacking it a few times with a hammer.

Otherwise check wiring and relays, and also check the megafuse(s) on the firewall.

I'd be surprised if the two batteries are not separated by an isolator. The whole point of a second battery is to not be left with a no-start condition. If there's no isolator, they simply behave like one bigger battery and are subject to being run down.

I have two trucks with dual batteries; and I installed the wiring/system myself to copy the TP2 factory option. I only use AGM batteries, but I'm also cheap, so I do NOT replace them in pairs. Haven't had any issues. Did these installs in 2014 and 2015.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts