No start-“unknown driver”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, don't pull it out any further, like lengthening it, and as you move it around see where there is a spade male terminal with no wire on it and will likely be a clean male spade. Also, the female end on the end of the wire you are holding is kinked 90 degrees to the body of the wire so when looking for the plug in spot keep that in mind. Plus, what is that rusted twisted exposed metal wire in that picture. That does not look like a factory installed connector. Plus, what wjburken was saying is that any metal clamp wrapped completely around a RUBBER HOSE will never ever be a ground. The rubber is the insulator.

Found the male spade terminal you were speaking of. It is attached to the hood. Not sure what that unconnected hose like thing is for. Maybe factory alarm? 55eb19b4e8ce15950dea6ae3cfd05ea4.jpg12e8586a28073f89d25f5981b99d2263.jpg00de194420164ba145f64a4bad871234.jpgd39843a4fbab1602144af8970d19e844.jpg659935a55c3e396642de0589e6f75ffa.jpg7ba50ffa0a3ccee079d546aec74be16c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any warranty left on the alarm? Did the shop use a hanger and put your wiring in that way? This could be part of your drainage issue as well.

I’m pretty sure there is no warranty left. The shop didn’t use the hanger. Lol. The siren came loose and I used the hanger, it was suppose to be temporary, I was going to use a zip tie for a cleaner look and never got around to it. Maybe I should? But not sure if the hanger holding the siren has anything to do with drainage?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The spade terminal is attached to a mercury switch that tells the under hood light to turn on when hood is up. The cable should be replaced and reattached at the stud at the firewall where you can see in your pic where it is broke off. It is a ground wire.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be any drainage from hanger but fix it anyway with zip ties until you can replace the stud. Don’t want any extra metal floating around under the hood. What have you tested so far? No need to keep tossing out ideas until the cables have been replaced or at least wire brushed and reinstalled or you’ve disconnected the battery and checked it overnight so we can eliminate some stuff.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spade terminal is attached to a mercury switch that tells the under hood light to turn on when hood is up. The cable should be replaced and reattached at the stud at the firewall where you can see in your pic where it is broke off. It is a ground wire.

You're referring to this stud, right?
upload_2019-12-3_16-20-38.png

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets start with... What year is your vehicle? Second, purchase a decent Digital Multi Meter. You can then use the meter across your fuses to look for a draw in amperage to find what is draining your battery, if in fact something is actually draining your battery.

unknown driver is common when the cluster does not communicate with the seat module via the Class 2 network. I didn't read everything, but did you check the fuse under the seat to see if it might be blown? Try moving the seat forward and backwards to see if perhaps you have a chaffed wire?

Good luck!

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
So I haven’t drove my truck in a week. I go to start it. Battery dead. It was under 4 volts. Got it up to 12.6 or so. Tried starting it but it says “unknown driver” in the dic.

I have a viper alarm/remote system. I think that locked it out?

As dumb as it sounds, everytime im working on my truck and it goes dead from me leaving the lights on, testing and nodding things. Even after you jump it and you get unknown driver and your like aaa crap, take the radio 15 amp fuse out and them put it back in. For me it worked everytime. Why I have no idea. Try that one out. Hopefully it helps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish