No pressure in cooling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The fitting was defective? Are you talking about the adapter for the pressure tester where it attaches at the reservoir? You tried a different one and then it actually started to build pressure, you said it would not build pressure before, and then the reservoir bottle exploded? I knew there had to be a problem if it was not building pressure. That bottle should never do that unless it had a weak spot already and could very well be the source of coolant loss. Even that bottle can expand and contract under pressure and temps. If it was me, I would do a new reservoir bottle and cap and the hose from the reservoir to the radiator.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8364964&cc=1412244&jsn=2239

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4646841&cc=1412244&jsn=2245

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10705016&cc=1412244&jsn=2249&jsn=2249

You got coolant in your eyes and I am sorry about that but such is the life of a DIY'er. Congrats! You been baptised. Bring on the next problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Actually the adapter was defective so I used the universal adapter and it started to build pressure until it got to 15 psi and the universal adapter blew off and half the fluid in the expansion tank blew all over me and the truck LOL! Well went to the other parts store to borrow there kit, and of corse its the same one i just used. Lets hope it works this time!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the adapter blew off then that means the threads where it attaches are likely stripped or damaged and now the cap and a different adapter may never seal correctly. Watch out.

OP
OP
D

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
If the adapter blew off then that means the threads where it attaches are likely stripped or damaged and now the cap and a different adapter may never seal correctly. Watch out.
Actually it doesnt screw in, it goes in and expands and then locks in place.. didnt lock very well tho. Judging by the reviews of this kit online it’s happened to alot of people

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a kit like that at one time and it was shit. Talk about universal. 2-3 sizes fits all ********. If you want to do this right get the right cooling system pressure tester. Save time and headaches and coolant in the eyes.

OP
OP
D

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
im borrowing so I have to take what I can get. It’s 260.00 bucks I could buy more usable tools with. The universal adapter was a last resort.. plus, I was christened thanks to that shit tool, a sort of baptism of fire! Anyway the neighbor kids were outside to laugh when it happened.. At least I made someones day. Thanks for sticking with me today buddy.

OP
OP
D

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Welp she held pressure. My question is, if I put uv dye into the coolant, will it show up in the exhaust water if the truck has a bad head gasket? Also if the cylinder head is cracked and coolant is making it’s way into the oil, will the uv light pick up the dye in the oil?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
water condensation out of the tail pipe is normal, you need to get a flashlight and get under the truck and look up, places to check are the heater hose area (along passenger firewall), radiator hoses and T, bottom of the water pump, bottom of radiator and sides of radiator, rear hvac unit (bottom right rear under the back bumper behind the wheel). IN ALL INSTANCES the coolant will flow down because you know.... Gravity. If you cant find a specific leak location get a big piece of cardboard and leave it under the engine area overnight and look at it in the morning.

OP
OP
D

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
water condensation out of the tail pipe is normal, you need to get a flashlight and get under the truck and look up, places to check are the heater hose area (along passenger firewall), radiator hoses and T, bottom of the water pump, bottom of radiator and sides of radiator, rear hvac unit (bottom right rear under the back bumper behind the wheel). IN ALL INSTANCES the coolant will flow down because you know.... Gravity. If you cant find a specific leak location get a big piece of cardboard and leave it under the engine area overnight and look at it in the morning.
Actually its holding pressure so if there is a leak I’m gonna say its internal. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe there was air in the system from when the hose clamp was repaired and when it cleared up it made it appear as if im losing coolant. If its the dang castech heads causing it im gonna have a friggin stroke. Trucks worth no more then 4 g’s as it sits. Its loosing way to much coolant to not either be air in the system or something internal.

Last edited:

rjr

Reaction score
I'm curious. Where is the heater core that serves the rear HVAC system?