No more Wix Oil Filters for me (I switched to this one - here's why!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with Fram filters. If my size isn't available, I'll go with STP branded filters. I do take an extra step and put a large ceramic magnet on the case of the filter (spin on type, not cartridge) to catch small ferrous particles. It's amazing what this will catch on a fresh rebuild. WIX is hard to come by around here. In the last 20 or so years, I've only used it a couple of times when other brands weren't available. Usually this is on a fairly rare import like my old 380SL Mercedes.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the magnet idea!!

It doesn't do anything for non-ferrous metals or things like bits of gasket or sealant. Most reciprocating parts are steel though and it will catch the really small particles. I rebuilt an engine once and cleaned it nearly obsessively before I bolted everything together. At 100 miles after the initial break in, I fund a noticeable blob of metal particles in the filter. Small enough it may not have hurt anything, but maybe it would have. The next oil change at 500 miles and there was a very small accumulation. Normal oil changes for the next 25,000 miles before I sold the car was pretty clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094