Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imfrogman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 22 suburban and no data plan. I have no issues with wireless carplay or waze. using wireless carplkay should not drain the battery extensively at all nor should it make phone warm. probably have something else going on.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My samsung not 8 gets quite hot when being used in android auto node doing a navigation route, even when phones screen is off. It also eats up battery really fast too. Goes to under 50% charge in less than 2 hours. I make sure to keep a charger cable in vehicle when i need to use my phone in that mode.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have data on your vehicle? I ran mine out too quickly and my Carplay wouldn't connect wirelessly without it.
Why would that matter? The wireless Carplay or wireless Android Auto are a bluetooth signal only between device and vehicle and has nothing to do with the vehicle's ability to connect to cell signals.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My samsung not 8 gets quite hot when being used in android auto node doing a navigation route, even when phones screen is off. It also eats up battery really fast too. Goes to under 50% charge in less than 2 hours. I make sure to keep a charger cable in vehicle when i need to use my phone in that mode.
I believe wireless android auto or apple carplay was designed to be used in conjunction with wireless chargers, truly making the experience completely wireless. Your phone will get warm when charging wirelessly too.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah my tahoe doesn't have wireless charging (9 seater), but it gets HOT when running android auto. I have never felt a phone that hot before, so i shut phone off completely to let it cool down. its possible i need a new phone?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah my tahoe doesn't have wireless charging (9 seater), but it gets HOT when running android auto. I have never felt a phone that hot before, so i shut phone off completely to let it cool down. its possible i need a new phone?
Which year do you have and is it using wireless Android Auto or plugged in?

I use Android Auto and have used them on 18 hour road trips WITH an Otterbox Defender case and my phone never got all that hot. It gets much hotter using the wireless charger on my bedside night table.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a samsung note 8 phone. Just a small soft case with no screen protection. And yes i use android auto wirelessly.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a samsung note 8 phone. Just a small soft case with no screen protection. And yes i use android auto wirelessly.
It appears that doing anything wirelessly with phones makes them hot, regardless if charging or transmitting vast amounts of data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094