No headlights (Low beam) !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel so stupid! First of all, when I "tapped" the fuse box and thought it worked...well it didn't. Turns out, I had the high beams on when I made my confirmation. When I got in the Tahoe this morning, yes the lights came on, but they were on bright. When I pulled the yoke back to go to low-beams, the lights went off. Now I am back to waiting on the relays to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I will not have to go to the depths that you did for a fix, but thank you for the story as that may be my next steps.
What the....:banghead:

Kelly Craft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel so stupid! First of all, when I "tapped" the fuse box and thought it worked...well it didn't. Turns out, I had the high beams on when I made my confirmation. When I got in the Tahoe this morning, yes the lights came on, but they were on bright. When I pulled the yoke back to go to low-beams, the lights went off. Now I am back to waiting on the relays to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I will not have to go to the depths that you did for a fix, but thank you for the story as that may be my next steps.

It’s not too big a job. It only took me about an hour.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Soooo....drumroll..... It ended up being two blown bulbs. Strange because I check my headlights in every reflective bumper/tailgate. I never noticed the first bulb out, much less two at once. On another note, the dealer told me that my battery connections were loose and that could have caused a "surge", hence blowing both bulbs at once. I am not sure if that is possible, but I am glad to be back on the road in the dark with lights.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo....drumroll..... It ended up being two blown bulbs. Strange because I check my headlights in every reflective bumper/tailgate. I never noticed the first bulb out, much less two at once. On another note, the dealer told me that my battery connections were loose and that could have caused a "surge", hence blowing both bulbs at once. I am not sure if that is possible, but I am glad to be back on the road in the dark with lights.
nice, sounds like a positive outcome :thumbsup:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so more details??
high beams working?
instrument cluster lights working?
tail lights?
marker lights?
blinkers?
if everything else is working then you have one or more bad low beam bulbs, bulb harness/connector or relays (in fuse box under the hood) or you have a bad ground in the low beam's
if you have no high or low beam then perhaps a bad light switch, luckily there rather cheap
forgot about the Auto sensor(it's on the dash the little bubble) as well those can go bad I would first check the bulbs

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switch? Bulbs, maybe one was already out and the second one just went? Are you sure you put good fuses in the correct place?

Uh-hmmm. Post #2.....:rolleyes:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jason,

I recently had the same issue with my 08 Yukon, that is what brought me to this forum. My low beams went out while driving down the interstate an night!! took me a a while to figure out I could just hit the high beams and go on, just had to let everybody get mad at me. I fought this for a long time. They would come and go for a while then just stopped completely. I tried everything and scoured all of the forums I could find no luck. I even went to a salvage yard and bought the guts for the fuse/relay box and swapped it still nothing. Eventually I figured out the BCM supplies the ground input to all of the relays in the relay box to trigger them so i ran a jumper wire from the fog light relay to the low beam relay then i just had to turn on fog lights to get low beams on. I went like that for a while. Then other things began to stop working, amp for radio, blower motor, and rear turn signal sometimes worked sometimes didn't . Noticed the gremlins would usually come after a car wash. I got very determined one Saturday and tore into it. What I found was under the the fuse relay box the wire loom splits and goes several directions therefor the plastic loom cover ends and new ones go other directions. right at point it lays on the raw edge of the fender. I had 3 wires that were broken a several that were worn bare. I repaired all of the damage and taped it up. Then I got a piece rubber hose about 12" long and split it down the side and slipped it over the sharp edge of the fender. Wala no more problems and everything worked as it should. You have to take the whole fuse assembly out and get it out of the way then lift the wire harness up to look under it.
post a photo so others CAN do preventive maintenance on that

Jimmy Eddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey fellas, I recently bought a 2010 Tahoe ltz and the low beams do not work. the high beams and all other lights work so im going to try checking the bulbs first since this vehicle sat for about 2 years with a dead battery. hopefully they blew with they put a jump pack on it. thanks for sharing your info so far, ill add to it once I find out what I have going on myself.

Jimmy Eddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So just an update it was, both low beams were blown. I'm assuming because the auto headlights were on that when they used a jump pack it sent a surge of power to them and blew them.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just an update it was, both low beams were blown. I'm assuming because the auto headlights were on that when they used a jump pack it sent a surge of power to them and blew them.
Weird...just like the op.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros