No crank/start/anything condition with radio also in locked mode.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remem my bil 97 malibu did this on my driveway i feel like it was something with the remote un locking the doors then locking again ... he had aftermarket keyless entry, not so much an alarm but just a remote fob for keyless but it went into theft passlock or someshit... just ideas
Yep, tried that too, I have the original fobs plus the aftermarket. Made zero difference.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested in reading your results.
As for me, this is what I figure. If I can remove this engine and the complete wiring harness and drop it into another chassis, like my 86 Camaro for example, and get it to run as has been done literally thousands of times by others, then I should be able to get it to run in the original chassis.
I just have to keep looking, reading, testing and asking questions.
In the meantime, I'll probably be forced into buying a replacement (another Tahoe of the same generation) as I can't keep driving said 86 Camaro too much longer. Winter is almost here in these parts.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1, make sure the ignition switch is indexed correctly. I figured this out over the weekend. Replace the switch and the ignition switch housing. The housimg is where the Passlock sensor is actually located.

#2, I ordered a new BCM from Amazon. It was $117, but they can be had for $72 after you return the core. I didn't want to wait 5 days for delivery so I went Amazon.

#3, get BCM reflashed with tech2.

#4, unplug cluster, wait 10mins, and plug back in.

#5, go through Passlock relearn procedure. Search for Cardone Passlock procedure PDF. Best one there is. Although our keys look like Passkey3 we have a Passlock2.

Mine fired up tonight and is working as it was intended.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the pass lock bypass tricks? I googled gm pass lock bypass and found a few things, different depending on which pass lock system you have. This one was the simplest:

Others require wiring bypass in steering column etc.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the pass lock bypass tricks?

I can't even get that far. The dash isn't functioning as it should and hasn't since this (newest) problem started.

If you join All Data DIY, you can access the wiring diagrams for your truck and just about everything else as well.

Just checked that out. I've found a lot of wiring info on-line however I suspect I may have to go deeper and eventually pay for what I need. Looks like a promising web-site.
Thanks.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you unplugged the cluster for 10 minutes then plugged it back in, done the key relearn procedure? People think i am nuts, but even after a BCM reflash that is what worked for me and at least 3 other people on another board.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you unplugged the cluster for 10 minutes then plugged it back in, done the key relearn procedure?

#1, make sure the ignition switch is indexed correctly. I figured this out over the weekend. Replace the switch and the ignition switch housing. The housimg is where the Passlock sensor is actually located.

I've replaced the electrical portion of the switch however it's difficult to tell if it's indexed correctly. I can get full range of motion with the switch and reach the spring back portion of the start position however this does nothing with respect to starting. Still no crank nor is there a change in dash function as there usually is when the key is turned to start. (Gauges sweep back to zero, indicating lamps turn off while key is in start)

#2, I ordered a new BCM from Amazon. It was $117, but they can be had for $72 after you return the core. I didn't want to wait 5 days for delivery so I went Amazon.

Can't say if I have an issue with the BCM or not.

#3, get BCM reflashed with tech2.

Trying to arrange the loan of a Tech 2 scanner to see if it is of any assistance trouble shooting.

#4, unplug cluster, wait 10mins, and plug back in.

How is this done? I haven't researched it but I've nothing to lose by trying. Is this a connector and where is it located?

#5, go through Passlock relearn procedure. Search for Cardone Passlock procedure PDF. Best one there is. Although our keys look like Passkey3 we have a Passlock2.

Again, I can't say if this is my issue and to tell you the truth, I'm not certain how to tell if it is an issue. That said, again, I've got nothing to lose by trying.

Mine fired up tonight and is working as it was intended.

I'd like to be able to say the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update:
For whatever reason, I've regained full functionality of the dash instruments. I did nothing extraordinary except go away for two weeks. Now, when the key is first inserted, I get a door chime, tuned to the ACC position, I get the radio and power windows, the ON position makes the gauges do a full sweep. (I haven't seen that there was still a 3/4 tank of fuel since this whole deal started but now I do).
The only thing lacking is that when turned to the START position, nothing happens. Still.
And further to that, once the start is tried, the gauges stay on like before when the key is removed. I'm certain there is backfeed somewhere probably due to a bad ground. I cannot for the life of me figure out where this ground might be.
I'm going to investigate the Passkey reset. Perhaps I initiated something there with all of this fiddling around.
But, at least I can say it appears the ignition switch is not a problem. Or so it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2