No brake lights turn signals or cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremyhuskers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1999 tahoe 4x4 4dr 5.7

Currently I dont have any turn signals unless I turn on my hazards. Then my hazards dont work but my turn signals work fine. I also dont have any brake lights what so ever. And the chime that's supposed to make sound when you open your door or leave the lights on... doesnt make noise unless I press down on the brakes... very weird. I also dont have cruise control when I have my parking lights or lights on in general. I replaced the brake light switch. Combanation switch and the light switch the other day didnt fix anything. So I'm thinking wiring problem like a short but dont know where or how to start looking for that

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you looked for and inspected the junction block at the rear frame area? If you are in a rust belt state then you should also do, on a regular basis, periodic checks for all grounds under the hood at the engine and all along the frame and firewall. I was gonna guess the combi switch but you replaced that, with new, right? Not used.

OP
OP
J

Jeremyhuskers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you looked for and inspected the junction block at the rear frame area? If you are in a rust belt state then you should also do, on a regular basis, periodic checks for all grounds under the hood at the engine and all along the frame and firewall. I was gonna guess the combi switch but you replaced that, with new, right? Not used.
Yes all new switches and yes I live in the rust belt

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, new switches that did not fix the problem. Check that junction block. You can you tube for the exact location on your rig. When you noticed the problem had you had any electrical work done recently? Towing anything and patching in a plug for the trailer?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after you check the other stuff, pull out your tail lights and pull out the brake light bulbs and clean the metal contacts with some sandpaper, edge of a screw driver, etc, then bend the little metal tabs in a bit so they are making good contact, that is your end point of the system
cruise control is probably fine, however cruise will not work if there is a brake light problem, once you have the brake lights going cruise control will work again.

OP
OP
J

Jeremyhuskers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, new switches that did not fix the problem. Check that junction block. You can you tube for the exact location on your rig. When you noticed the problem had you had any electrical work done recently? Towing anything and patching in a plug for the trailer?
Not sure when the cruise control thing got messed up a few months ago. But the brake lights and turn signal happened about 2 weeks ago. Only work I had done was when I hit a deer. I had to replace the passenger turn signal/ parking light connectors.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well then, check all the mounting areas and grounds and connections at the front as well. But that was a month ago and I assume that all was working in between that time, except for the cruise control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf