NIVOMAT Shock Replacement Input Needed.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Nivomat shocks for sale if anyone needs any that came off of a 2002 Tahoe.

Michael88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Late to the convo, but just thought I'd share my experience.

I just replaced the Nivomats (ZW7) on my 2002 Yukon yesterday. I'd say I lost at least 2 inches on the rear end height. I replaced the Nivomats with a set of Monroe Reflex Monotubes. I'm pretty disappointed in the overall appearance of the vehicle, and frankly, I can't tell much of a difference in the ride. My Yukon has almost 200k on it, so I assumed there was no way the Nivomats were still working, but I don't know how to test that assumption. Now that they're off the vehicle, is there any way to tell if they're toast? I can't compress them with my bare hands.

I'm now considering taking the Monroe Reflex Monotubes off and buying the AC Delco Self-Leveling shocks off of Amazon. I guess the other option is to buy some new springs to try to raise the rear end. Has anyone had a positive experience restoring the original height of the vehicle by installing new springs?

Thanks!
My car has a 3” drop I’m hoping after I replace the ZW7 shocks to Bilsteins 4600 I’m hoping the rear doesn’t sag to much. From what I’ve gathered at the shop was it drops about 2” if so I think it might be perfect seeing that my front sits a few inches lower than the rear.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My car has a 3” drop I’m hoping after I replace the ZW7 shocks to Bilsteins 4600 I’m hoping the rear doesn’t sag to much. From what I’ve gathered at the shop was it drops about 2” if so I think it might be perfect seeing that my front sits a few inches lower than the rear.
I have a set of Nivomats for sale

Baggerjim

Reaction score
Have an '02 Yukon, 180000 miles, mine seem to be fine, no leaks, no bounce and no sag when I hook up a 23' boat. Would you change them "Just Because"?

Pintoni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree, if you don't see bouncing, no need to replace the Nivomats, let them do their job.
I have a 2001 Suburban 1500, 197k miles and it bounces at least 3 times with one Nivomat visibly leaking.
Try to step on the rear bumper and then jump down, mine bounces for good 10-20 seconds after I'm off :)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Nivomats require you to drive a hundred yards or so -- maybe a little more -- in order to give them time to adjust to the load. Pack in 300 lbs or so and make the back end sag, then drive it a block or two and see if they correct the height.

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
92k miles on a 2005 and mine apparently went out this week after a couple of days of negative temps.

Vehicle rode and drove fine on Friday, then after -5 degree night, it felt weird and the back bounces up and down. Let it sit a couple of days in warmer weather and drove it and still bad.

Never seen shocks go bad overnight!

Definitely not going with OEM and will likely get the Bilstein set up.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92k miles on a 2005 and mine apparently went out this week after a couple of days of negative temps.

Vehicle rode and drove fine on Friday, then after -5 degree night, it felt weird and the back bounces up and down. Let it sit a couple of days in warmer weather and drove it and still bad.

Never seen shocks go bad overnight!

Definitely not going with OEM and will likely get the Bilstein set up.
I have a used set of OEMS for sale off a 2002

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnott, KYB, Monroe....versions... They make a factory version of what Nivomat shocks do?

My 2005 Yukon XL SLT has Nivomat. But lucky me, they still seem fine.. Maybe they were changed out before I bought the truck with 140,000 miles ? I will check the service history to see....if I can.

But, when (or if) I need to replace them, how are the aftermarket versions? Do they cost less but perform the same?

If they are not better, I'll stick with Nivomat. This Nivomat stuff is new to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons