Nitrogen filled tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my new Duramax Suburban, and was somewhat surprised to find a "Get Nitrogen Institute" package in the glove box (with an extra green colored stem cap in it. Is it standard to put nitrogen in now?
Total scam. Unless your a race driver it’s a complete waste of good money.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should ask them to what percentage they N filled your tires…

Air is 78% N already.
100% not achievable.
So…at what level between 78 and 100% do they decide to charge.

I’ve always thought the N filled thing was a scam.
it is, the one and only benefit is your tires may not need to be aired up as often wooh wooppeee

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t pay for it. Problem solved. Or, Google it and you will see all the free ways to get nitrogen in your tires!

Harold Pierson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Costco, fills with Nitrogen, and the have a self service air pump in front of their tire store. Free to all Costco customers.... Just pull up and fill up.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody actually understand the "process" for filling w/ Nitrogen?

Net, mount the tire to the wheel, it is filled w/ atmospheric air.
If you put the whole thing in a room full of N, and mounted, it, then it would be filled w/ N, but I dont' see that at Costco.
So, then what, install the valve stem, and pump up to 35 psi using pure N?

So in that case, you get Air + maybe 1-2 cubic ft of N, so your 78% went to what, 82%, and you have a "Nitrogen Fill"

Else, bring up to pressure as above, then let air out unitl pressure inside tire = atmospheric pressure, and fill again with Nitrogen?
How many times do they do this?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody actually understand the "process" for filling w/ Nitrogen?

Net, mount the tire to the wheel, it is filled w/ atmospheric air.
If you put the whole thing in a room full of N, and mounted, it, then it would be filled w/ N, but I dont' see that at Costco.
So, then what, install the valve stem, and pump up to 35 psi using pure N?

So in that case, you get Air + maybe 1-2 cubic ft of N, so your 78% went to what, 82%, and you have a "Nitrogen Fill"

Else, bring up to pressure as above, then let air out unitl pressure inside tire = atmospheric pressure, and fill again with Nitrogen?
How many times do they do this?
You are way over thinking this. Floor jack, remove valve stem, let air escape, refill with nitrogen. 3-4 minutes per tire should cover it.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are way over thinking this. Floor jack, remove valve stem, let air escape, refill with nitrogen. 3-4 minutes per tire should cover it.
YOU are way overthinking this. Screw on green valve caps. Done.

The customer will never know the difference.

Seriously though, what percentage of "nitrogen fills" do you think are actually done?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
YOU are way overthinking this. Screw on green valve caps. Done.

The customer will never know the difference.

Seriously though, what percentage of "nitrogen fills" do you think are actually done?
If the company has the equipment ready for use, the employee has nothing to lose by NOT filling the tires with nitrogen. He gets paid to do the job. When I remove existing air and refill with nitrogen it’s only cost me my time, since I’m not paying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low