Newby questions about mounting winch on 2004 Chevy Tahoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am interested in the possibility of mounting a winch on the front of my 2004 Tahoe 4x4 I recently got stuck in some Arizona mud and I am looking to be better prepared in the future. I have some property that requires a 17 mile trip on dirt roads to get to. Right now I have a manual come-along with about 30' of steel cable, an 80' synthetic rope from Harbor freight and an 8' tow strap (Also from Harbor Freight) as my self recovery system.

Here is my question (s)
1) What rating do I need for an electric winch? (I have heard 8000 lb will do for my vehicle)
2) How do you go about mounting a winch?
a) are there any resources out there I can look at to educate myself on the basics?
b) do I need to replace the front bumber?
c) I have seen that there are "Hidden Winch" mounting options that require buying a new bumper
d) Just trying to gather some basic info and options for mounting a winch.

Thanks as always for all the help and support on this forum site!
Look on Amazon for hidden winch mount. Rancho makes it.
Trust me, you want a 12000lb winch for your heavy Chevy.

Attachments

• 20210925_080739.jpg
    20210925_080739.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210611_100125.jpg
    20210611_100125.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 18

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on Amazon for hidden winch mount. Rancho makes it.
Trust me, you want a 12000lb winch for your heavy Chevy.
Check out “Matt’s Off Road Recovery” videos on YouTube. He uses the HF 12,000 lb winches on his recovery vehicles. They are fairly inexpensive compared to a name brand, like a Warn, of the same size.

BoatGuyVB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm doing research on this as well. I'm going to put a drawtite front receiver on my 06 z71 burb and go with a winch tray insert that can go front or rear pending the situation. The hitch is rated for a 9500lb straight pull so a 10k winch is what I'm eying. I will use the front hitch for more than the winch so I that's why I want the winch mobile. I did just watch a video on a hide a winch setup from rough country and harbor freight.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering the front/back winch also but decided to go with permanent front mount because I didn't want to hassle with all the wiring and expenses of running heavy duty wire all the way to back. As far as winch rating, you should go double the weight of the vehicle, so 12000 is what's recommended. Unless you're not going to use it for recoveries.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being this is kind of brought back from the dead, if the op is still here, what did you end up going with?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a rough country hidden mount kit is what I used on my silverado, probably works in a similar manner for the gmt 800's, some of the bumper mount has to be cut between the frame, drill a few holes and then it bolts up
View attachment 361965
View attachment 361966

Clean install!!!
Can you still access the power switch and clutch lever on the top of the winch?
I'm still having to address necessities, like proper brake action. But, I may get to a winch some day...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean install!!!
Can you still access the power switch and clutch lever on the top of the winch?
I'm still having to address necessities, like proper brake action. But, I may get to a winch some day...
I can reach up under the bumper for the clutch and switch very easily, the bracket makes it kind of cupped in but there is room