Newbie with 2016 Tahoe rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm new here. I thought I'd skip the intro thread and go straight to the point. I apologize if the following topic has been beat to death, but I didn't see any recent enteries and I'm becoming very frustrated.

Here's the story:

Last summer we purchased a new black Tahoe LS. The car drove fine, but I was never happy with it since it wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I sold it. I then purchased a slate gray Tahoe LT with the luxury and destination packages from GM's Factory PreOwned Collection website. It's exactly what I wanted at a price I could afford. I took a chance on purchasing the vehicle(former rental) from across the country because I figured if there was anything wrong with it, it was still under warranty. Plus it only had 13k miles on it, so what are the chances something would go wrong with it.

WRONG!!!!! Rough Idle. The vehicle had a rough idle when stopped and in drive, such as being stopped at a stop sign or red light.

I took it to the Chevy dealer I used to go to and they gave me the runaround, and told me the rough idle was normal for that vehicle. I guess they forgot I previously had a 2016 Tahoe. That's why I "used to " go to them.

I took it to a different dealership, and they immediately mentioned a service bulleting regarding the engine mounts and shims. It seemed to help a little bit, but it was still there.

I took it back the following week and they changed the engine mounts completely, but called me back and said it was still idling rough. They told me they were going to scan it with a "picoscope" to determine where the vibration was coming from. Currently our Tahoe is still at the dealer because they had to order a longer censor for the picoscope. But based on all the stuff I've read on the internet, I don't expect too much. It seems like this issue isn't exactly uncommon with 2015-16 GM Suv's and trucks.

I'm very frustrated. i sold our new Tahoe with no issues and some equity, for a used Tahoe with issues, and now I'm upside down . The rough idle isn't horrible, but I feel like an idiot. I had no idea something like this could happen.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Last edited:

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the rough idle but it isn't at every stop I make so it hasn't honestly bothered me much and haven't brought it in yet.

It sounds like the current dealership is trying to do right by you and get it fixed. It's most definitely a bummer to have to be going through it but give them a chance and perhaps all will be good in the end.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the rough idle but it isn't at every stop I make so it hasn't honestly bothered me much and haven't brought it in yet.

It might be the same thing as mine. The vibration is minor, and not always there. It seems to develop after the vehicle is driven about a mile or two. My biggest concern is that it will get worse.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hasn't worsened after 27,000 miles, if that makes you feel any better...lol.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axeman, I also did a lot of research and unfortunately it sounds like a lot of owners across the board are experiencing the same thing. It looks like the motor mounts were aligned or replaced which helped very few or they just said screw it and put in a tune to increase the idle which helped most if not all. Many just gave up and are living with it which they should not have to. Maybe the scope will turn up something. Good luck and keep us posted.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your a/c constantly on?

I keep mine constantly on and do not notice any rough idle..Not sure if that has something to with it but I have never had the a/c off since I brought the Tahoe home so do not know if the idle is different with it off..Ever since the 70's I just set the a/c and forget it and never shut it off.

nj16yukon

Reaction score
For those experiencing this, can you describe exactly what you're feeling? I just bought a 16' XL Denali a few weeks ago. When stopped, I notice a little vibration or "gurgle" that happens every few seconds. However I'm not seeing any movement in the tach when it occurs. I wasn't sure if this was normal behavior for the 6.2, or if this is the rough idle that others are describing.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is your a/c constantly on?

I keep mine constantly on and do not notice any rough idle..Not sure if that has something to with it but I have never had the a/c off since I brought the Tahoe home so do not know if the idle is different with it off..Ever since the 70's I just set the a/c and forget it and never shut it off.

I'll have to try that.