Newbie to the forum/ 05 Escalade 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

You'll need to do some diagnostics on your beautiful truck. In addition to the other suggestions, a vacuum leak can cause both the evap issue and the rough idle, possibly being the evap purge valve on the engine. Also common is the canister vent valve near the fuel tank, staying open. But before you load the parts cannon, know that there are lots of good evap troubleshooting videos online. If you need a recommendation or two, speak up and I'll post a few links.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely you're having issues with the valves that allow air to escape or enter the fuel system. This means you are likely fighting a vacuum in the fuel system. I'm fighting something similar in my daughter's Suburban, but it's currently low priority for me. But trying to fill the tank is very difficult because air doesn't properly leave the system.

OP
OP
J

johnbobby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

You'll need to do some diagnostics on your beautiful truck. In addition to the other suggestions, a vacuum leak can cause both the evap issue and the rough idle, possibly being the evap purge valve on the engine. Also common is the canister vent valve near the fuel tank, staying open. But before you load the parts cannon, know that there are lots of good evap troubleshooting videos online. If you need a recommendation or two, speak up and I'll post a few links.
Having some diagnostic resources would be extremely helpful, if I could! Y'all are so kind!

Thank you!

OP
OP
J

johnbobby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

Also, does the symptom of the mothball smell when it's idling rough sound familiar to anything you've seen/heard about? That one boggles my mind.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe not quite the same, but if it smells like rotten eggs you may have a cat that's gone bad.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Evap diag resources:

I wouldn't expect an evap issue like this to cause a fuel delivery problem, so you'll probably want to work on the fuel trims first.

A couple of comments about evap systems... since this truck is new to you have you tried to add fuel to the tank yet? If the vent system has a bad vent valve or is plugged you may experience issues with filling up. Be sure to turn the engine off when you are fueling; that way the vent is commanded open (whether or not it actually opens). On my '04 the canister vent valve was intermittent, so a single test might not identify it as such.

Wells has an informative video on how the system works, and the basic purge and seal test:

Also the Car Doctor has some good info (even though this is a diag of not being able to fill the tank; they're all related):

There are many causes of venting issues. Most common are the canister vent valve (or its vent filter plugged), a contaminated charcoal canister (likely due to over-filling the fuel tank), and evap lines plugged with charcoal pellets from a damaged canister.

Eric O at South Main Auto on YouTube has a few evap videos that can be helpful.

The onboard evap test requires some specific conditions to be met. It's run from a cold start, fuel tank level between 1/4 and 3/4 full, etc. If it fails it will set an evap code and light the money light.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the exhaust smell and other issues, use a scanner to check/graph your upstream O2 sensor activity, and verify that the truck is going into closed loop. The upstream sensors should range from 0.1v to 0.9v as the rpm changes and the fuel trims are adjusted.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it is the upstream O2 sensors that tell how lean or rich, we might backtrack from there.

Maybe one or more of the fuel injectors is blocked, stuck closed or not working up to spec. If injectors on that side are not sparying enough fuel, that would cause a too lean situation. The computer adjusts flow, but can only do so to a point.

Other issue could very well be the up stream O2 sensor itself. Telling the computer it is getting not enough (falsely), so fuel gets increased. The excess fuel can make it run rough and stumbly. Alcohol in the fuel can stink weird when injectors dumping a ton of fuel in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny