Newbie from Houston, TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a huge chevy enthusiast. First pic 06 Tahoe I owned a few years ago and drove for fun. My daily driver is a 2013 Tahoe LS 4x4 it was a homeland security vehicle. Drove it like that until last year and decided to make some changes during quarantine ‍♂️ was bored . Other than appearance inside and out and a 2/3 Belltech drop I am pretty stock and IMG_1447.PNG 45036EE6-E927-42E2-A831-5DF37FC645CC-22383-000015F628DB4B35.jpeg 20200614_101531.jpg has close to 200k. Looking to get a tune but would like to spend this year doing mods to it to gain power nothing crazy. Looking for mods that are inexpensive and that a beginner can do on a weekend.

I am here to soak up your knowledge. 20200614_101555.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Looks cleeeean.

Simple but worthy DIY performance mods? Hmm...

Other than all the basic maintenance stuff to ensure you're starting "on-par" (spark plugs, ALL fluids, clean air filter, etc.), really, about all there is to do is an Airaid MIT and free-flow muffler. It's not a performance item, but a catch can is quite necessary on even a stock engine. Really, a good tune will be your biggest bang.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
howdy & welcome
nice looking ride

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard from Houston. Got a 2013 and have Been working on performance Mods myself. Started with KN cold air induction, dualed out Borla muffler. Moroso catch-can, but the best yet so far was a Diablo tuner ( turn off the AFM at a min), tune to 93 gas, then tweak some of the other tunables. Not performance related but makes your night time driving much better, ditch the stock headlights and go good quality LED or HID ( The HID Factory in Houston) , the other exterior lights CREE LED and Morimoto Fog lights.Front end lights on.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge chevy enthusiast. First pic 06 Tahoe I owned a few years ago and drove for fun. My daily driver is a 2013 Tahoe LS 4x4 it was a homeland security vehicle. Drove it like that until last year and decided to make some changes during quarantine ‍♂️ was bored . Other than appearance inside and out and a 2/3 Belltech drop I am pretty stock and View attachment 272724 View attachment 272725 View attachment 272727 has close to 200k. Looking to get a tune but would like to spend this year doing mods to it to gain power nothing crazy. Looking for mods that are inexpensive and that a beginner can do on a weekend.

I am here to soak up your knowledge. View attachment 272732

Welcome from Miami Beach!

Nice Tahoe! Don't forget to check out the 2007-2014 PPV-SSV section.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice looking truck!

I suspect that your truck already has a cold air intake as stock. If you already do have a stock cold air intake, then an Airaid MIT will 'clean' the intake apparatus up, and 'look' better. If not, be advised that you do not get any significant performance increase by installing one, so don't spend a lot of money getting one.

IMO, your best performance mod for the buck is to get a tune. Lots of folks here have tunes from Black Bear Performance, and we are happy with them. I would recommend a Black Bear Performance tune, which will run in the neighborhood of $600. This tune will modify your ECM and also your TCM (so that shifting performance will also be improved, which can make as much a difference in performance as the ECM tune). And with this purchase, you will be able to obtain additional free tune adjustments for the life of your truck, whenever you make a mod for which a tune adjustment would be appropriate (cam, headers, tire size change, etc.). You can obtain the tune totally remotely with BBP, and I would suggest that you call @BlackBearPerf and discuss your needs with them. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice looking truck!

I suspect that your truck already has a cold air intake as stock. If you already do have a stock cold air intake, then an Airaid MIT will 'clean' the intake apparatus up, and 'look' better. If not, be advised that you do not get any significant performance increase by installing one, so don't spend a lot of money getting one.

IMO, your best performance mod for the buck is to get a tune. Lots of folks here have tunes from Black Bear Performance, and we are happy with them. I would recommend a Black Bear Performance tune, which will run in the neighborhood of $600. This tune will modify your ECM and also your TCM (so that shifting performance will also be improved, which can make as much a difference in performance as the ECM tune). This tune can be achieved completely remotely. And with this purchase, you will be able to obtain additional free tune adjustments for the life of your truck, whenever you make a mod for which a tune adjustment would be appropriate (cam, headers, tire size change, etc.). You can obtain the tune totally remotely with BBP, and I would suggest that you call @BlackBearPerf and discuss your needs with them. You won't be disappointed.
Right on, we would be happy to help with a tune! Give us a call 877-809-4070