Newbie checking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonM7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First GM I've owned since my Cutlass back in high school - I've actually been mildly anti-GM for most of my life because I had to work on them too much back when I did that, plus my sister and I as young'uns had a few of the worst/least reliable GM models so I got a false bad taste that lingered for some reason. But these Denalis look so damn good and that 6.2L stomps so hard I took the plunge, and thus far I LOVE it. I thought my LR4 was nice, but it didn't hold a candle to this thing.

I picked it up the Friday after Thanksgiving, then 11 days later it was rear-ended by a deputy sheriff to the tune of about $8500. So that was awesome. With a bit of pushing, pulling, and a handful of zipties I managed to get where I can drive it without the bumper cover or taillights from falling out, so at least I still get to use it until the shop can take it in near the end of January. I'm trying to see the silver lining in the situation, hoping I can use my diminished value check for some tasteful mods.

I wish it were the newer whiter metallic white, but it still looks mighty damn good in this shade. Depending on how the paint work comes out after repairs I might plasti-dip it in the brightest white they make. I know these metallic colors are hard to match, so if I can see mismatch I won't be able to unsee it.

20181124_132956.jpg yukon_smash.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice looking truck. It'll be good as new in no time. That Cutlass was GMs way of teaching you new skills!

Lots of us here learned to turn wrenches on G-Bodies and B-Bodies! Some enjoyed it so much that they still keep one around!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Brandon!! After you get your Denali back online I am sure you will be taking a lot of road trips.

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the Cop get charged for following too closely or distracted driving like YOU would have had this been reversed................ probably not, and you are the poor guy with the broken toy..... I hope the cop felt really sick over his faux pas...... I would have torn a strip off him, cop, gun , taser and all..... no excuse, your truck is beautiful, and I hope the repairs will be exactly as you wish......my '19 Tahoe is on order, still 12 weeks away.... send pics when she is all fixed up, I'd love to see it.....

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Shame on the smash up, but hope the Denali gets back in order soon. Let us know how the repairs go.

OP
OP
B

BrandonM7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice looking truck. It'll be good as new in no time. That Cutlass was GMs way of teaching you new skills!

Lots of us here learned to turn wrenches on G-Bodies and B-Bodies! Some enjoyed it so much that they still keep one around!

I'd love to still have one to do a pro-touring style resto-mod on, but in my area they have become very highly favored among folks that like to lift them and put enormous wheels on them. Those dudes will pay anything for one, so the values are ridiculously out of my piddling around allowance. I would absolutely love to do one simple and clean with a 6.2L like this and some quality suspension and brakes, but I'm not gonna pay five grand for a car that I'm going to completely rebuild under the skin.

Did the Cop get charged for following too closely or distracted driving like YOU would have had this been reversed................ probably not, and you are the poor guy with the broken toy..... I hope the cop felt really sick over his faux pas...... I would have torn a strip off him, cop, gun , taser and all..... no excuse, your truck is beautiful, and I hope the repairs will be exactly as you wish......my '19 Tahoe is on order, still 12 weeks away.... send pics when she is all fixed up, I'd love to see it.....

I don't believe he was cited, but I'm not sure. He was found at fault for the accident for following too closely and openly admitted that he was looking at his laptop when it happened. It was a young guy and he was super nice and apologetic so I'm not all that mad at him - hate that my car got smashed up, but I'm pleased that he owned up to it and their insurance has been kissing my ass non-stop. Probably afraid of a lawsuit. He said he looked up from his laptop and didn't have time to stop which was mildly BS, though - he never touched his brake pedal at all. That car hit square, no nose dive at all and no hint of a skid mark. I wasn't even the one he hit - my Yukon was stopped, as was the Kia Sorrento behind -- he hit the Kia hard enough that it pushed into me causing that much damage. The estimate is $7300 but I already know there are a few things not on it that will surface once parts are taken off so I'm guessing at the $8500. It might be more than that, but I don't think it will be less.

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I bet the guy in the Kia wasn't too impressed either............. how frustrating for you.... good thing their insurance is doing a little butt kissing, that would never happen here, they would figure you would be 50% at fault for just being there, and that is the truth, they say if YOU weren't there, the accident wouldn't have happened, and as stupid as that sounds I know people locally who have had that happened, then they scrimp on repair parts, usually used, that's the insurance we have here in British Columbia..... when the truck is repaired, make sure you are happy with it, it was perfect before the hit it should be perfect after the repair.... I wish you all the best for getting it repaired...
Jeff

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This whole thing about getting hit, got me to thinking, as my new forthcoming Tahoe will be loaded up with all the bells and whistles, like yours is, I am wondering with a good whack like you got, IF all those sensors for the backup stuff, camera, park assist etc, are still operational, and when one does take a whack on the bumper area, how much will those sensors take before they start to not work correctly? And also if there are any water seals that could be compromised, and cause issues down the road..... I think that's food for thought and worth having a close look at....... IMHO.... issues down the road caused by the accident that the insurance won't cover due to trying to prove it...... just a thought