New Yukon owner from JAX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's that? We raised our three girls while driving vans with captain's chairs in the second row. Are they all in car seats still?

Welcome from Iowa.

We have 4 kids and went from a Mini-can to a Yukon with buckets when they were 7, 5, 3 & 1. Went to bench when we needed to carpool kids and now they are 15, 13, 11 & 9 and we just returned to buckets.

OP
OP
Yukon not UConn
Reaction score
How's that? We raised our three girls while driving vans with captain's chairs in the second row. Are they all in car seats still?

No, definitely out of car seats. Just not enough cargo space behind the 3rd row for 5 persons worth of gear. We take a fair amount of family road trips, the previous Pilot and MDX each had bench 2nd rows with the 3rd row typically folded for luggage. 2nd row buckets would probably work in an XL, but that wouldn't fit in the garage....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, definitely out of car seats. Just not enough cargo space behind the 3rd row for 5 persons worth of gear. We take a fair amount of family road trips, the previous Pilot and MDX each had bench 2nd rows with the 3rd row typically folded for luggage. 2nd row buckets would probably work in an XL, but that wouldn't fit in the garage....

Got it. We considered the bench for about two seconds until my kids started complaining that the seat was hurting their backs while on a test drive. Hopefully, they recline on the K2s and beyond or at least more comfortable for y'all. I miss my big garages that would have housed our Yukon XL, stuck with the tiniest one ever for the time being. Sick of moving.

OP
OP
Yukon not UConn
Reaction score
Welcome from Iowa.

We have 4 kids and went from a Mini-can to a Yukon with buckets when they were 7, 5, 3 & 1. Went to bench when we needed to carpool kids and now they are 15, 13, 11 & 9 and we just returned to buckets.

We have the same age spread, but you outdid us by one. We had buckets in our first mini-van (Olds Silhouette Premier), but the 2005 Honda Odyssey was a game changer for us with that bonus jump seat between the captains in the 2nd row. Since then it's been nothing but 3-row SUV's. Our kids are 21,19, and 17 now with two in college. It goes fast, enjoy every minute of their younger years...

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but the 2005 Honda Odyssey was a game changer for us with that bonus jump seat between the captains in the 2nd row.

Our one and only mini-van was an ‘05 Odyssey as well. To this day my wife asks if there is a way to add a jump seat!

It goes fast, enjoy every minute of their younger years...

Absolutely. As I was writing my last post, I found it hard to believe how fast the time has gone by.

OP
OP
Yukon not UConn
Reaction score
Our one and only mini-van was an ‘05 Odyssey as well. To this day my wife asks if there is a way to add a jump seat!

Funny, we had the same conversation about the Yukon -- jump seat between captains would have been perfect. I did consider buying an extra bench 2nd row seat to swap in as needed, lol.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
13-11-9 no mini vans, always a bench until new truck... thank god.... i like the buckets so much better ..... keeps them separated....
:)