New wheels, lug nuts won't stay tight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cntryislandboy
Reaction score
Thanks again guys for all the fast responses, ya'll have truly been great help.

So it turns out that the previous wheels(aftermarket) were lug centric and I never noticed the wheel hub spacers were stuck to the hub. So I that is why the wheels, even though torqued, still wobbled and could not get set properly. Took them off and drives like a dream. I defiantly won't make that mistake again.

And to think I want to attempt to build a performance motor, might need to reconsider this option.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

So it turns out that the previous wheels(aftermarket) were lug centric and I never noticed the wheel hub spacers were stuck to the hub. So I that is why the wheels, even though torqued, still wobbled and could not get set properly. Took them off and drives like a dream. I defiantly won't make that mistake again.

And to think I want to attempt to build a performance motor, might need to reconsider this option.

Chalk that up to getting some experience.

Did you check your lugs to make sure you didn’t have any damage?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

As @wjburken said, experience.

All you need to build your motor is the ability to learn. Did you learn from this wheel situation? You've got what it takes, then!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

All you need to build your motor is the ability to learn. Did you learn from this wheel situation? You've got what it takes, then!

Don’t let NEVER doing something keep you from EVER doing something.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why didn't the shop that installed them notice the hubs? Make sure the wheels are still in good shape and the studs as well and the lug nuts. I assume you did when you put it all back together.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue. Another common problem that has similar results is aftermarket wheels usually dont have the recessed surfaces like OEM wheels, and if you dont remove the rotor retaining clips the wheels wont sit flush.

DSC09396.jpg

OP
OP
cntryislandboy
Reaction score
Had this happen to me as well. Got finished on base at the Hobby Shop after replacing the hubs (5th set). Aftermarket wheels that have the plastic adapters to shore up the gap... Drove out of the BAY with torqued nuts and the wheels were instantly wobbly. I attributed it to needing to be seated more than once. I had to tighten, torque, then putter along a base road near the HS and perform this nightmare about 5 times on all 4 (to be sure) sets of nuts. I live in Tucson. It was summer. I was not terribly happy to say the least. BUT, haven't had an issue since. Something worth checking just in case anyway.

The good ole hobby shop. I hung out there a few times in Germany trying to fix my mini cooper. Really wish they had a place like that in the civilian world. I even day dreamed if a place like the hobby shop on base could work in the civilian world. Nothing major just a couple bays with lifts and tools, wifi for getting info, maybe a tech or two to assist.

I think it would help people like me who'd like to do their own work but don't have the resources, but have the drive to want to. Heck for this job, I ended up buying a torque wrench, deep sockets, and floor jack.
Chalk that up to getting some experience.

Did you check your lugs to make sure you didn’t have any damage?

Everything appeared to be good, I was very concerned about this, I never would have heard the end of it from my wife.

I'm defiantly learning, I've learned a lot from the guys here and a lot from YouTube, just have to keep moving forward.

Don’t let NEVER doing something keep you from EVER doing something.

I agree. I'm so tired of watching all these cool truck builds on youtube, it's time to stop watching and start building. No clue what I'm going to build I'm to all over, one minute I want a silverado, then I think I'l just build my tahoe, or think I'll save for an affordable corvette, all I know is it's going to be a Chevy V8. I'm more afraid of wondering " What if" later on in life than I am of messing up a motor, after all I can always buy more parts.

Why didn't the shop that installed them notice the hubs? Make sure the wheels are still in good shape and the studs as well and the lug nuts. I assume you did when you put it all back together.

I had ordered them from Custom Offsets and put them on myself.

mackmcmillan

Reaction score

Hehe, your problem ended up being my suggestion for a solution... Those rings are aggravating.

mackmcmillan

Reaction score
The good ole hobby shop. I hung out there a few times in Germany trying to fix my mini cooper. Really wish they had a place like that in the civilian world. I even day dreamed if a place like the hobby shop on base could work in the civilian world. Nothing major just a couple bays with lifts and tools, wifi for getting info, maybe a tech or two to assist.

I think it would help people like me who'd like to do their own work but don't have the resources, but have the drive to want to. Heck for this job, I ended up buying a torque wrench, deep sockets, and floor jack.

Everything appeared to be good, I was very concerned about this, I never would have heard the end of it from my wife.

I'm defiantly learning, I've learned a lot from the guys here and a lot from YouTube, just have to keep moving forward.

I agree. I'm so tired of watching all these cool truck builds on youtube, it's time to stop watching and start building. No clue what I'm going to build I'm to all over, one minute I want a silverado, then I think I'l just build my tahoe, or think I'll save for an affordable corvette, all I know is it's going to be a Chevy V8. I'm more afraid of wondering " What if" later on in life than I am of messing up a motor, after all I can always buy more parts.

I had ordered them from Custom Offsets and put them on myself.

We have a couple DIY garages here in Tucson. I love the idea, it's just the liabilities that would ultimately keep me from opening one myself, that's for darn sure. I wonder how common, if at all, they may be these days...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There was a reality show on my Comcast Motor Trend channel last year or the year before that that was about a DIY garage. I would love to own and open one but the clientele can be very hit and miss, I would assume. If I found a location here locally for one that I felt I could make money at I would open one in a heart beat. After running shops for over 25 years I don't want to go back to those hassles with customers and prima donna techs but owning a DIY garage would be a great change that allows me to get dirty again on more of my own terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98