New water pump and fan clutch? SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 309k miles I am ready for my 3rd water pump. The bearings are loud I thought it was my alternator so I change that, apparently those bearings were all so trashed so its not as loud, but i can tell by spinning water pump pulley by hand those bearings are also on their way out.

Since the fan clutch has to come off I might as well get a new one. I am confused on the RockAuto descriptions especially when it comes to reverse rotation. What does that even mean? I have the tow package and automatic rear AC in mine so I need a decent clutch but not the severe duty one that is locked all the time. Is there one that people recommend?

Also, Which water pump? Gates, Ac Delco pro or AcDelco OEM?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this on my 2003 SLT late last year. Honestly as far as brand of water pump...who cares. Buy what you can afford. If you can pay the premium then get OEM. Me personally because I didnt have the time to wait for a delivery I just drove to the nearest autozone and bought a kit which had the pump and fan clutch in the box. If you order on rockauto just buy whatever price range fits your budget and fits your specific RPO codes that are listed in descriptions of their parts. Reverse rotation means just that, the pump is driven in reverse direction of standard rotation. Certain RPO packages would have this for whatever reason and the reverse rotation is accomplished by extra idler pulleys. You do want to make to sure you dont install a pump or clutch that is for reverse rotation if your vehicle is standard rotation!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Gates anytime I needed water pump, belts, idler/tensioner pulleys and hoses. Great experience. Never had one needing replacement after install.

Gates water pump is less than $70.

I have also used Hayden fan clutches.
Rockauto.com has them for less than $40.

Don't forget to use the forum discount code. It can offset sales tax (and sometimes part of shipping), depending on cost of order.

If I am in more of a hurry, I get the same parts, but at my local NAPA store. No shipping cost and with AAA member discount, sometimes cheaper than Rockauto (and most stuff at NAPA is same day or next day).

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S.: I just got an email from NAPA Rewards... 10% off online ordering through 6/30. 20% for orders over $125!!! Depending on what people need, 20% can be a real game changer on cost for parts!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 309k miles I am ready for my 3rd water pump. The bearings are loud I thought it was my alternator so I change that, apparently those bearings were all so trashed so its not as loud, but i can tell by spinning water pump pulley by hand those bearings are also on their way out.

Since the fan clutch has to come off I might as well get a new one. I am confused on the RockAuto descriptions especially when it comes to reverse rotation. What does that even mean? I have the tow package and automatic rear AC in mine so I need a decent clutch but not the severe duty one that is locked all the time. Is there one that people recommend?

Also, Which water pump? Gates, Ac Delco pro or AcDelco OEM?

In my experience, you can't expect the life out of an aftermarket pump that you can out of an OEM one. Yeah, the cost might be lower on an aftermarket pump and it's not a difficult swap. But, what is your time worth and where will you be if it fails unexpectedly? It might have a warranty, but that doesn't cover the lost coolant or your time and inconvenience. AC Delco Professional (now known as "Gold") is a re-boxed 'good' aftermarket. Hell, it might be a Gates at a different price. If you find both, compare them. I've bought parts from one store and compared them with those from another to find that they were the exact same item at a lower price, just in a different brand box. Just avoid AC Delco Advantage ("Silver") if reliability is a concern for you. This is a blanket statement for all of their parts, particularly suspension.

OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I use RockAuto 95% of the time.

The fan clutch still has me confused. I have RPO GT4 for 3.73 axles and Z82 tow package, but they all say W/O tow package in description except for the GM Genuine that says electric but also thermal, strange...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-093323_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-093323_Brave.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt