New water pump and fan clutch? SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I use RockAuto 95% of the time.

The fan clutch still has me confused. I have RPO GT4 for 3.73 axles and Z82 tow package, but they all say W/O tow package in description except for the GM Genuine that says electric but also thermal, strange...
Someone copied/pasted or typed wrong info in description there. Definitely thermal on the GM.

Just be aware, you might hear more fan noise from the severe duty clutch. It spins the fan at faster rates. Great for cooling. Just expect it might sound more truck-like.

OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it finished in about 2 hours. Also replaced upper and lower radiator hoses and T-stat. The fan clutch roars about the same as my old one, a little bit longer just while.cold in neighborhood. Nice and quiet now, old pump bearings were very rough and the orange antifreeze was very brown.

Attachments

• 20220702_152707.jpg
    20220702_152707.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220702_152528.jpg
    20220702_152528.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 7

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 260,000 miles with original clutch hub. I noticed off road that my transmission got a bit hot... still well under 200F but I didn't like what I saw. The guy riding with me built these trucks for a living (retired from GM assembly line). He suspected the clutch hub as you could never hear that gust of air coming from the fan. I figured, probably wouldn't hurt to get a new hub.

I'm sitting here confused about codes on Rock Auto as well though. I think the same clutch hub will fit mine Q2 below... I want to make sure I get enough cooling though as I built up a 6.0L and dropped it into my 2001 Tahoe. I assume, the main difference between these is the thermostat to activate the clutch and rotation direction?

My next question is what the heck is an electronic clutch hub (Q1 below)????? Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron... is that a mistake on rock auto? I don't know if I have to buy one of the OEM ones because they are the only electronic ones? What is that?

1682792873356.png

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer anything on part specs. for this.

As far as brand goes... I put a Hayden on my Jeep 4.0L. They were very highly rated by the members in the forum. No issues. Good quality part. If it is the correct one, go the HD for a couple extra dollars.

Keep in mind, HD fan clutches usually spin faster and stay on longer. They can make more noise than a SD clutch. Some describe it to be a "roar" or "like a jet". Definitely more truck-like...

But that would be the trade-off, if you really need the maximum cooling of an HD/Severe Duty fan pulling more air through.

SD clutches tend to be more quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01