New Torsion Bars (not keys)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTG515

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here. Just bought a 2004 Z71 and slowly turning it into my light off-roader/daily driver.

One of the big things I want to do is refresh the suspension with Bilstein 5100s. I’ve already turned up the stock keys a bit to come close to level. But I was thinking... torsion bars do wear out over time like cool springs.

Has anyone bought OE replacement torsion bars to freshen things up a bit?

In theory I was thinking that new torsion bars would allow me to get nice and level while not having to crank the keys as much.

Then throw on the bilsteins front and rear and things would be nice and crisp.

Thoughts on that?

DansOtter

Reaction score
That's exactly what I've been thinking too... mine are definitely worn out at 270k miles.

The problem I'm having is finding the bars. Looks like you've got to order them from the dealer; I called the other day and they're around $400/bar. The only places I found online were GMPartsDirect and GMPartsGiant... cheaper there, but they have pretty horrible reviews for their customer service... looks pretty shady.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I've been thinking too... mine are definitely worn out at 270k miles.

The problem I'm having is finding the bars. Looks like you've got to order them from the dealer; I called the other day and they're around $400/bar. The only places I found online were GMPartsDirect and GMPartsGiant... cheaper there, but they have pretty horrible reviews for their customer service... looks pretty shady.
GM Parts Direct and GM Parts Giant are places I have gotten parts from with no trouble. Another place that I have used is Tasca Parts https://www.tascaparts.com/
Tasca has T-bars for a 2005 Tahoe for under $300/bar.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...vPXRhaG9lJnk9MjAwNSZ0PXo3MSZlPTUtM2wtdjgtZ2Fz

DansOtter

Reaction score
GM Parts Direct and GM Parts Giant are places I have gotten parts from with no trouble. Another place that I have used is Tasca Parts https://www.tascaparts.com/
Tasca has T-bars for a 2005 Tahoe for under $300/bar.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...vPXRhaG9lJnk9MjAwNSZ0PXo3MSZlPTUtM2wtdjgtZ2Fz

Good to know... I've been wondering if they were reputable. Hadn't run across Tasca before either. Site looks identical to GMPartsDirect... I guess they're affiliated somehow.

OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
Good info! Thanks guys for the replies. I noticed that GM Parts Giant has a range of different bars with slightly different part numbers and prices yet all saying they fit my year Tahoe. How do you really know what’s what when they range from $80 - $140?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know... I've been wondering if they were reputable. Hadn't run across Tasca before either. Site looks identical to GMPartsDirect... I guess they're affiliated somehow.
Not affiliated. They probably just happen to use the same base web hosting site. You will find a lot of the dealers that sell on line will have similar looks. No need to reinvent the wheel.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info! Thanks guys for the replies. I noticed that GM Parts Giant has a range of different bars with slightly different part numbers and prices yet all saying they fit my year Tahoe. How do you really know what’s what when they range from $80 - $140?

If you provide the last 8 digits of your VIN number, @915_Tahoe can get you the part number for your vehicle. He is very helpful.

OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
If you provide the last 8 digits of your VIN number, @915_Tahoe can get you the part number for your vehicle. He is very helpful.

Ok great! Well I may do that once closer to pulling the trigger on this. I don’t know a ton about these suspension systems as it’s my first truck with T bars, but refreshing the bars themselves seems to make more sense to me than just cranking and cranking the old ones. Anyways, thanks for helping me think through this idea! Hopefully I can make some progress on my truck soon, but gotta take this slow financially haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kns0517