New to me pristine 11 Yukon XL Denali!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on a (hopefully) mechanically sound family war wagon!

I don't know what rust is, but it sounds like you've gotten a handle on that with the recommendations from those experienced with it.

There aren't as many options for aftermarket headlight assemblies for the GMCs as there are for the Chevrolets. But, I believe there are all-black housings, where the inside part is black and the headlight is a projector instead of a reflector, so it is more ideal for HIDs.

Painting or wrapping the chrome bits to match the body color and/or making them black goes really well with a gray body and would certainly make it look tough. Gray body, colormatched trim, black wheels, mild front lift to level it with the rear, black or dark gray wheels with all-terrain LT tires... The tough looks would compliment its capability and sturdiness while still looking clean and civilized.

I'm all for the AFM disabling. GM upgraded the AFM components that started with (I think) the 2011 models. Or maybe it was a mid-year 2011 thing. Either way, you won't miss it and I'd still disable it to be on the safe side. However, I'd make it permanent and avoid the other potential issues that a plug-in module may present and have it tuned out. Either get a full custom tune, which would also improve many other aspects of the rig or just have the AFM disabled. You can send your PCM here: https://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm and have it turned off and be done with it for less than half the price of the plug-in module.
Thanks for the link! It's on the list! Probably won't go for the tougher look until I need new tires. Previous owner out all new Michelins, breaks, rotors on not long before offering it up.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Now press the OnStar button, get a free 90 subscription along with a OnStar phone # & free minutes. XM radio will do the same. Since it’s 2011 you can download the OnStar App to your phone and use it for remote start anywhere theres cell cover. It also shows diagnostics and fuel level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! It's on the list! Probably won't go for the tougher look until I need new tires. Previous owner out all new Michelins, breaks, rotors on not long before offering it up.

Definitely don't waste the Michelins. On that note, it sounds like they took extra good care of it aside from keeping it in cosmetically good condition. There are plenty of cheaper tire options than the Michelins, but the Michelins are one of the best you can buy. But, you have a list of other small, cheap and easy mods to do to keep it interesting until you're ready for new tires and/or wheels and tires.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
Now press the OnStar button, get a free 90 subscription along with a OnStar phone # & free minutes. XM radio will do the same. Since it’s 2011 you can download the OnStar App to your phone and use it for remote start anywhere theres cell cover. It also shows diagnostics and fuel level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sweet! Thank you!!!

TheBiznisKitty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fun is just beginning for you!! As far as mods go, the possibilities are endless.

I would recommend doing a cold air intake (cold air inductions is my favorite). Then I would go and do a flowmaster 40 series and resonator delete.

Headlight wise I have yet to find one I have fallen in love with but tail lights you can go with the Cadillac style one and it changes the look of your whole vehicle!! LED fog light pods are a must as well.

Interior wise I changed all my dome lights to LED’s and it makes the vehicle look 10 years newer.

I could go on and on about what to do or what I’d love to do to mine! Once you go down the rabbit hole you never come back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
The fun is just beginning for you!! As far as mods go, the possibilities are endless.

I would recommend doing a cold air intake (cold air inductions is my favorite). Then I would go and do a flowmaster 40 series and resonator delete.

Headlight wise I have yet to find one I have fallen in love with but tail lights you can go with the Cadillac style one and it changes the look of your whole vehicle!! LED fog light pods are a must as well.

Interior wise I changed all my dome lights to LED’s and it makes the vehicle look 10 years newer.

I could go on and on about what to do or what I’d love to do to mine! Once you go down the rabbit hole you never come back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely have the interior LEDs on the list. Do you have a link to the Cadillac style ones?

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are black grill and lower grill kits available for about $180 on ebay. Unfortunately they don't come with a black hood edge trim piece, you'd have to paint or wrap the stock chrome one.

I didn't like the red GMC badges front and back so I swapped them to black. Front is easy, it just unclips/snaps off. Rear is stuck on, so have I used fishing line or dental floss behind it to remove it, then removed the rest of the adhesive with a 3m magic eraser wheel in my drill.

I switched to some Eagle Eyes U bar style projector headlights I found on ebay for $300. They're available in black or clear/chrome. I then found some Eagle Eyes C-bar LED taillights that match the styling pretty good with the headlights, they were $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-07-13-GMC-Yukon-Denali-Upper-Lower-Unpainted-Grill-Grille/371230303659

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Grill-Grille-Rear-Emblem-Badge-Black-Set-For-2007-2013-GMC-Yukon-XL-1500/193237877584?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Bar-For-2007-2014-GMC-Yukon-XL-Denali-BlackHalo-Projector-Headlights/274182362969?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Smoke-C-BAR-LED-Taillights-for-2007-2013-Chevy-Tahoe-Suburban-GMC-Yukon/293687892785?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20200825_103411.jpg

20200825_103348.jpg

20200819_153507.jpg

20200819_153552.jpg

View attachment 273345
View attachment 273346

So how do those headlight actually work on a dark road at night? I put new bulbs in my Tahoe and would have a hard time overdriving them. I've seen some aftermarket units that wouldn't even make good back-up lights.

Reaction score
So how do those headlight actually work on a dark road at night? I put new bulbs in my Tahoe and would have a hard time overdriving them. I've seen some aftermarket units that wouldn't even make good back-up lights.
Since they are my first experience with a projector type headlight, it's hard to tell because I'm not used to having a cut-off line. They're bright, but not HID bright. I can definitely see the cut-off line on the road a head of me a few car lengths, but at the same time it lights up overhead road signs quite a ways away. I think I have them adjusted a little low. I've never had anyone flash me, and I notice the cut-off line on the trunks and doors of the cars in front of me below their mirrors when coming up on them at red lights.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts