New to me 2018 Yukon SLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key saga continues. Bought a blank key on Amazon for $9. Trying to find someone to cut it around here. Cheapest so far is like $120! Called Chevy customer service since it's CPO. Offered me a service voucher for $100. Closest dealer won't cut a blank key for me but will cut one for me from their stock for like $300.

What's their excuse here?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key saga continues. Bought a blank key on Amazon for $9. Trying to find someone to cut it around here. Cheapest so far is like $120! Called Chevy customer service since it's CPO. Offered me a service voucher for $100. Closest dealer won't cut a blank key for me but will cut one for me from their stock for like $300.
That is steep. Try around Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. Maybe the locksmiths your calling may be bigger companies and charge more? I found my guy on Facebook and he charged $30 to cut.

it wasn’t some guy in his basement either. Legit locksmith company. Just low advertising cost I guess

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Captain,
I was in the same boat. Wish I had known in advance that since I bought my 2019 CPO that it should have come with two keys. I would have pressed them harder.
I ended up buying a key blank and fob from carandtruckremotes and had a local locksmith cut the key.
Since I didn't have two working keys, I couldn't program this new key-set by myself at home.
Tried a million youtube things, none worked.
Locksmith wanted like $70 to do it.
I ended up going to my local dealership and just having them program the key-set for $85.
Here's my thread about my attempt: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/pairing-new-key-set.124361/

OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score
I called another dealership, $65 for the key and it's been ordered. They say since I only have one key I won't be able to program it myself. I did call customer service since it's CPO and they said they can be sold with only one key. They did offer to give me a voucher to pay for the service. I'm going to just have the dealer do it. It all does seem a bit fishey as in a way to sell keys, services and the add on lost key warranty service.

Also, btw. The parts department does not cut keys. They order them based on the VIN. They don't need the original key.

OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score
Keys came in, dealer says I can't program myself and they will need to do it since I only have one key...

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score
Looks like you can program them yourself, according to the manual. Will try that soon.

01pewterz28

Reaction score
Congrats on the Yukon love the color. Too bad on the key my in-laws purchased a used 2020 that only had 1 key but as the dealership told them it's CPO they are required tohave 2 keys they ordered and delivered a new fob to them the next day...

Congrats again and happy modding be glad you got the upgraded 22" wheels they really change the look of the vehicle.

OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score
I'll be towing a travel trailer an am thinking about getting some LT rated tires. The tires that are on here on XL rated so they may be ok.I like the rims but they feel a bit flashey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt