New to me 2018 Yukon SLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score
I bought one of these and got the hard key cut at a locksmith for $25

It’s not OEM but it works great and it’s a back up

you can also program yourself without any tools. There’s a slot in the center consol for programming fobs
View attachment 269929
That looks good.

I read here that you can program the key yourself if you have a working key.

OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score

you can also program yourself without any tools. There’s a slot in the center consol for programming fobs
View attachment 269929
That looks cool, but mines not push button. I think I need whats called a transponder key.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks cool, but mines not push button. I think I need whats called a transponder key.
Oh I didn’t know keyed ignition was an option. I thought they were all push to start after 2015

This video walks you through it. Very simple

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score

you can also program yourself without any tools. There’s a slot in the center console for programming fobs
View attachment 269929

My CarMax Yukon came with the exact same fob as the second fob. Doesn't say GMC on it and has more of plastic feel than the OEM rubbery feel.

But it doesn't matter, I got the rubbery protective fob condoms anyway.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be anti-climatic but I went to the dealer and at first they said they couldn't do it then they said they could for $225. That's too rich for my blood so I looked around. I found a locksmith that did it for $25 per FOB and the extra key at cost. So maybe you could try that route. Aloha!

Denali Brad

Reaction score
If it's a CPO, it should have come with 2 keys and an Owners Manual. Hit up the dealership.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CarMax Yukon came with the exact same fob as the second fob. Doesn't say GMC on it and has more of plastic feel than the OEM rubbery feel.

But it doesn't matter, I got the rubbery protective fob condoms anyway.

fob ******. :anitoof:

it definitely feels cheapy but it’ll be my punishment if in lose my original fob lol and or a fob ****** would suffice

If I really want to be picky. It looks like the OEM replacement shells are $20. Maybe the internal board/chip is interchangeable between the oem and cheap one

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fob ******. :anitoof:

it definitely feels cheapy but it’ll be my punishment if in lose my original fob lol and or a fob ****** would suffice

If I really want to be picky. It looks like the OEM replacement shells are $20. Maybe the internal board/chip is interchangeable between the oem and cheap one

There isn't a huge difference. Keep the aftermarket as your spare, that's what I do. But the rubber/silicone covers do feel great and protect the keyfob from damage if it is dropped, and doesn't impede your ability to press the buttons at all. I think a 2 pack sells for around $10.

OP
OP
C

captain

Reaction score
This may be anti-climatic but I went to the dealer and at first they said they couldn't do it then they said they could for $225. That's too rich for my blood so I looked around. I found a locksmith that did it for $25 per FOB and the extra key at cost. So maybe you could try that route. Aloha!

The key saga continues. Bought a blank key on Amazon for $9. Trying to find someone to cut it around here. Cheapest so far is like $120! Called Chevy customer service since it's CPO. Offered me a service voucher for $100. Closest dealer won't cut a blank key for me but will cut one for me from their stock for like $300.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love the color.....Wifes been looking for one since last year,...
The cpo's we looked at all came with 2 fobs, 95% of non cpo only had 1.
i've heard all kind of tails around keys and fobs.... if it's financed local they keep a key. dealerships sometimes don't remember they have the spare to help drive the backend $$. most older vehicles takes 2 oe keys to program more but idk on these...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288