New to Me - 2016 Yukon Xl Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G00se

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local dealer diagnosed the “shudder” / rumble strips feeling as the torque converter — they’re replacing it now under powertrain warranty and hope to have it back to me tomorrow. They said it also needs a software upgrade as part of the fix which is only covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and costs ~$450. The dealer I bought the truck from agreed to split the cost with me.

After this, diagnosing the super stiff suspension is next. Probably an alignment as well as I’ve noticed the driver side tire is starting to round on the outside edge.

bamachem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dealers started with a trans flush and software update @ 57k miles, free of charge. Fixed my shudder issue.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Software upgrade is $450, Wow!!!! is that ever expensive. I think I would call GM customer service and see if they will help you with that expense even with the Dealer splitting the cost. I don't think they should be charging you anything.

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Not to play devils advocate, disclaimer: I work in a gm body shop, not service dept, but if you buy something out of warranty, expect up front that you’ll need to pay out of pocket for things like software updates, and not get them for free. If they do it for free, great, but it’s still the service techs time to do it.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two other owners on another thread in this forum that report that their Dealer took care of the same repair at no charge and I believe both were out of their 3yr/36,000 warranty and was handled under the power train warranty. makes no sense and no consistence.

OP
OP
G00se

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I waited for 1.5 weeks for the dealer to get the parts that were on back-order to replace the Torque Converter. Dealer was also out of loaners cars. Dealer finally called saying the parts are in and they have a loaner for me (GMC Canyon...brutal), but they said GM Corporate just relayed there's a change in process (effective October 4th apparently). Dealers have been told to to do the software upgrade and transmission fluid flush first, then if the problem still exists after ~200 miles of driving, replace the TC. I wouldn't have to pay for the software upgrade as the Dealer previously said so I agreed. I'm about 50 miles in and so far and have not felt the vibration at all. I still have the occasional long/delayed shift between 1-2.

Plan to do the bolt mod this weekend and BB autocal data log. Hope that helps. Will continue to update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3