New to Forum -2007 GMC Yukon XL owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcb2

Reaction score
Hello Forum folks. I live in New Jersey and own a 2007 Yukon XL 4x4, 5.3 L. My wife would like me to get rid of it because she thinks it’s a “gas hog” and will start “nickel & diming” me now that it’s up to 181K miles. First of all, I don’t consider an average mileage in stop & go traffic of 15.6 bad for a large utility vehicle. And the money we’ve spent maintaining it is less than that spent on her cars. Trading in to a more fuel efficient vehicle would take at least 20 years for the fuel savings to justify the move. And then, what would we use to haul the trailer and all the stuff that life has us moving around? I’m running it until one of us dies.

I bought my Yukon 11 years ago. It was 2 years old with 50K miles already. The first owner apparently travelled a lot! I wasn’t concerned because it had to be mostly highway miles and I know these trucks can hit 300K if well maintained. In fact, I traded in my ‘94 Chevy Suburban for this when it had 300K on it. I’m 65 years old and recently retired so I find myself with more time but less income now. So those days of letting the dealer do the work are over.

I have a garage with tools and will tackle things myself now. Recently I bought a used car lift and installed it in the garage. I did this mainly because my old bones don’t like cold concrete floors and I get nausious laying on my back working under a vehicle now. The lift has really improved my garage life and was a good investment. This has take me beyond normal maintenance to allow me to try repairs that I woundn’t think of attempting previously.another bonus is that I see more of my boys now when they stop by to use the lift on their vehicles.

So I’m happy to have now joined this site to learn and share experiences. Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach John!! Definitely keep your 2007 Yukon XL.

Had a house in Teaneck New Jersey. Loved it there but taxes ran me out.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome John. Fellow New Jerseyan here. Lift is a plus now that you can see the boys more often. Where in Jersey? I'm originally from Northern Jersey, but moved to central. Gotta pist up some pics of that baby. Have you done any mods?

OP
OP
jcb2

jcb2

Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach John!! Definitely keep your 2007 Yukon XL.

Had a house in Teaneck New Jersey. Loved it there but taxes ran me out.
Thanks for the warm welcome.I live below the middle of the state which is a lot greener and more affordable.

OP
OP
jcb2

jcb2

Reaction score
Welcome John. Fellow New Jerseyan here. Lift is a plus now that you can see the boys more often. Where in Jersey? I'm originally from Northern Jersey, but moved to central. Gotta pist up some pics of that baby. Have you done any mods?

Thanks. I live in the Mt. Holly area which is the bottom central or top south. No mods planned. Just maintenance and repairs. I have a couple old cars thatI plan to restore though.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the Mt. Holly area which is the bottom central or top south.

Laid over in Mount Laurel several times on my way to NYC when I was tied up in Virginia gridlock for hours on end. Burlington County is very nice!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum folks. I live in New Jersey and own a 2007 Yukon XL 4x4, 5.3 L. My wife would like me to get rid of it because she thinks it’s a “gas hog” and will start “nickel & diming” me now that it’s up to 181K miles. First of all, I don’t consider an average mileage in stop & go traffic of 15.6 bad for a large utility vehicle. And the money we’ve spent maintaining it is less than that spent on her cars. Trading in to a more fuel efficient vehicle would take at least 20 years for the fuel savings to justify the move. And then, what would we use to haul the trailer and all the stuff that life has us moving around? I’m running it until one of us dies.

I bought my Yukon 11 years ago. It was 2 years old with 50K miles already. The first owner apparently travelled a lot! I wasn’t concerned because it had to be mostly highway miles and I know these trucks can hit 300K if well maintained. In fact, I traded in my ‘94 Chevy Suburban for this when it had 300K on it. I’m 65 years old and recently retired so I find myself with more time but less income now. So those days of letting the dealer do the work are over.

I have a garage with tools and will tackle things myself now. Recently I bought a used car lift and installed it in the garage. I did this mainly because my old bones don’t like cold concrete floors and I get nausious laying on my back working under a vehicle now. The lift has really improved my garage life and was a good investment. This has take me beyond normal maintenance to allow me to try repairs that I woundn’t think of attempting previously.another bonus is that I see more of my boys now when they stop by to use the lift on their vehicles.

So I’m happy to have now joined this site to learn and share experiences. Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!

Welcome John and Happy New Year to you and yours!

15.6 mpg is great for that truck, mine averages less and has a 6-speed! Does yours have the aluminum block or iron and is it FlexFuel? What color?

OP
OP
jcb2

jcb2

Reaction score
It has an iron block and flex fuel. Vehicle color is tan (Champaigne?) although GM has a different name for it that I can’t remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike_16_denali