New Tech2 Clone - am I finding new issues or causing them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery is two weeks old. It was just replaced (under warranty) and the last battery was like 9 months old. I can't seem to get this truck to hold voltage, and this might be related to my overall electrical issues. I don't drive it daily and it may sit for weeks at a time. When I drive it, park it, check voltage, it shows 12.7-ish volts. A week later it will show 12.5 or so. Another week and it will be at 12.2. I was hoping the new battery would fix that. So far parasitic draw tests (#1 pulling fuses with a multimeter in-line with the negative cable = 13mA draw well within spec; #2 current draw test across all fuses) are not showing anything wrong.

The airbag light is unrelated to my issues - I just replaced the BCM and even in the paperwork I received it gave instructions that this was normal and required a reset by a scan tool (one of the reasons I bought the tech2) and I was successful in doing this.

I was able to command the vent valve finally after charging the battery up overnight.

I followed directions posted a long time ago from @swathdiver - at the plug to the vent valve itself, I have +12v on one wire with Key on, and NO ground on the other, whether commanded by PCM or not. According to those instructions:

So there's no short to ground, there's no voltage, so I need to trace where it goes and test whether it's open or has high resistance.

I have Bose speakers, I assumed that meant I have the Bose amp as well?

I am doing this now as it seems to be resolving most of the communication issues, but I'm not sure why my 2nd new battery in a year keeps dropping down.

I will take a look at this tonight.
in this case it sounds like the airbag module/bcm just needed a relearn that is normal, apparently that goes for either replacing the airbag control module or bcm, it is required if the airbag is replaced so that makes sense.
if you have the bose amp then yes you should be able to go into it and get the part number, etc and test tone each channel/speaker. I have done it on mine with the 10 speaker system.

OP
OP
T

TrybalRage

Reaction score
Well, got myself an alldatadiy sub and started looking around. Found a connector next to the trans that the vent solenoid wire connects to. Ran a continuity test between it and the solenoid connector - beep.
Checked from it to the ecm connector - no beep. Well well well.

Looking around a bit, started feeling a bit disheartened. How in the world am I going to find a break in the main engine harness where it goes over the top and down the back of the trans. Figured I'd start in the area easiest to see. Popped the engine cover... what's this?

I'm the one that cut the strap, but I saw some suspicious green dust around it.

Oh dear.

Well I'm no electromechanicatition, but that don't look good.

Once I peeled apart more and looked closely, the white wire was the only one totally fubared. I *think* the others might be OK. So I quick patched it together with some spare harness wiring I have laying around from my LS swap... and success! I can cycle the vent solenoid on and off with my Tech 2.

So now I'm going to start hunting around the harness for other problem areas. I've already identified one that kind of concerns me.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're on the hunt!

As for your battery, you drive it so little it does not get a chance to get fully charged. After a week or two, you would have to take her out onto the highway for a couple of hours to get the battery charged back up. Or you can buy one of those battery tenders which will keep it charged up and the plates de-sulfated.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, got myself an alldatadiy sub and started looking around. Found a connector next to the trans that the vent solenoid wire connects to. Ran a continuity test between it and the solenoid connector - beep.
Checked from it to the ecm connector - no beep. Well well well.

Looking around a bit, started feeling a bit disheartened. How in the world am I going to find a break in the main engine harness where it goes over the top and down the back of the trans. Figured I'd start in the area easiest to see. Popped the engine cover... what's this?

I'm the one that cut the strap, but I saw some suspicious green dust around it.

Oh dear.

Well I'm no electromechanicatition, but that don't look good.

Once I peeled apart more and looked closely, the white wire was the only one totally fubared. I *think* the others might be OK. So I quick patched it together with some spare harness wiring I have laying around from my LS swap... and success! I can cycle the vent solenoid on and off with my Tech 2.

So now I'm going to start hunting around the harness for other problem areas. I've already identified one that kind of concerns me.
Good sluthing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods