New tahoe owner needs help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebimarie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all
This is my first tahoe and need some help
2008 tahoe 5.3 flexfuel
153k miles
Sat for 4 years (uncle was ill and then passed)
When it was stored it was running excellent
Up to date on all maintenance.
I went and purchased a ac delco battery and it started on first turn. (Spiders and wasps are very angry at me)
Changed oil and filter
Flushed coolant
Checked t-case fluid
Diff fluids
I AM NOT A MECHANIC past family experiences taught us to make sure everything is clean and topped up.
Drove it locally about 2 or 3 miles up and down the road and it ran great. Went to get tags and clean her up some more and on my way to local self serve car wash check engine light popped up. Made a u-turn back home as im pulling into driveway "engine power reduced" appeared so i cut her off right there and got out my old generic scanner.
4 codes one was throttle pedal
(I used a friends pedal same model same numbers, his truck no lights got to grab before him dumping the shell)
That code went away now im down to 3
P0010 -cam actuator circut bank 1
P2101
P2135
Im stuck as not to much info on these generic codes.
Can some one point me to a star direction and i will keep thread open for a fix to potentially help others.

OP
OP
Bebimarie

Bebimarie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for that reminder . It was on a quarter of a tank when i started it. I filled it at our local mobil with a full tank of 93. It starts and purrs no funny noises i just cant troubleshoot these damn codes

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum:

P0010 Causes​

There are many potential causes of code P0010.

• Faulty VVT control solenoid valve (most common)
  • Oil sludge in the engine
  • Crankshaft position sensor malfunction
  • Camshaft position sensor malfunction
  • Frayed or damaged wiring
  • Engine operating outside of proper timing parameters

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P2101 GMC?​

• Binding or bent Throttle Plate
  • Faulty Throttle Body Assembly
  • Throttle Body Assembly harness is open or shorted
  • Throttle Body Assembly circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P2135 GMC?​

• Throttle Body harness is open or shorted
  • Throttle Body circuit poor electrical connection
I see a pattern with the possible causes of these codes. Check all related wiring and grounds. You said it sat for a long time. may have wires that were chewed in to by varmits. Unplug and inspect all connections and then plug back in and clear the codes and drive and see if anything comes back. Sometimes corrosion builds up on the connections and just unplug and plug back in cleans that connection. Also, clean the throttle body plate. Check you tube for this procedure, more than one video.

OP
OP
Bebimarie

Bebimarie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum:

P0010 Causes​

There are many potential causes of code P0010.

• Faulty VVT control solenoid valve (most common)
  • Oil sludge in the engine
  • Crankshaft position sensor malfunction
  • Camshaft position sensor malfunction
  • Frayed or damaged wiring
  • Engine operating outside of proper timing parameters

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P2101 GMC?​

• Binding or bent Throttle Plate
  • Throttle Body Assembly harness is open or shorted
  • Throttle Body Assembly circuit poor electrical connection

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P2135 GMC?​

• Throttle Body harness is open or shorted
  • Throttle Body circuit poor electrical connection
I see a pattern with the possible causes of these codes. Check all related wiring and grounds. You said it sat for a long time. may have wires that were chewed in to by varmits. Unplug and inspect all connections and then plug back in and clear the codes and drive and see if anything comes back. Sometimes corrosion builds up on the connections and just unplug and plug back in cleans that connection. Also, clean the throttle body plate. Check you tube for this procedure, more than one video.
Thanks vietvet i appreciate the help i noticed engine is very dry crusty looking but all there maybe the critters did get in there. ill go out and check that ill start with the unplug and plug back and check wiring..would you happen to know where i can find a ground wiring diagram for my model i can check those to if i know where to look. Thanks again ill post what i find

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since it was sitting I would look it over real good with a flashlight from under and from up top and see if any critters chewed the wiring up anywhere, mice like to make these home
if that all looks good then clean the intake-throttle body and maf, new air filter. disconnect the battery for a few minutes then just go drive it some more and see if any of the codes go away a couple of those are related to the throttle body/air intake, the cam position sensor could lazy from sitting (maybe) but I would def clean up the intake real good for starters throttle body cleaner and maf cleaner are at the auto parts store for $3-4 a can and will last a while.

OP
OP
Bebimarie

Bebimarie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
since it was sitting I would look it over real good with a flashlight from under and from up top and see if any critters chewed the wiring up anywhere, mice like to make these home
if that all looks good then clean the intake-throttle body and maf, new air filter. disconnect the battery for a few minutes then just go drive it some more and see if any of the codes go away a couple of those are related to the throttle body/air intake, the cam position sensor could lazy from sitting (maybe) but I would def clean up the intake real good for starters throttle body cleaner and maf cleaner are at the auto parts store for $3-4 a can and will last a while.
Thanks, was just looking at it and wiring deff looks like its seen better days but havent seen anything chewed up or frayed but i did see alot of oxidation and wet rot. I did notice a power fuse block that looks like it needs attention also (photo attached)
It wont cost much to buy a new ac delco cam sensor might be a good idead to drop a few new sensors in there anyway since i would like to get some use outta this thing.ill attach some photos to show how the engine bay looks.

Attachments

• 20221026_103655.jpg
    20221026_103655.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221026_103759.jpg
    20221026_103759.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221026_103825.jpg
    20221026_103825.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221026_103913.jpg
    20221026_103913.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221026_103918.jpg
    20221026_103918.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Bebimarie

Bebimarie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a quick update.just Ordered throttle cleaner and a new cam sensor and maf sensor,air filter im going to put the parts in on the weekend, my day off ill do my best to clean it all up and take her for a spin again.ill keep you all posted on the clean up and part install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17