New ppv owner with a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80Z1R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the best option for eliminating all the wiring left over from the police equipment . I did not want to jump in and just start ripping wiring out.
I figured several of you have been there done that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a ppv but I would start with checking everything for functionality before considering removing any un-connected wiring

tfi racing

Reaction score
The best option is to eliminate it. Determine what you don't want to use and follow it back to the center console,pulling wires out as you go, it is a slow and tedious job.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This I believe is going to be a case by case response, it just depends on what condition your vehicle was left in from the agency who removed all of the equipment. From reading others' posts on here on various things, I feel privileged with condition my truck was in and was restored to before it was sold to me. My harness was already bundled together underneath the dashboard, so when I bought a normal factory console, the harness was already out of the way and then completely hidden from sight. The PPV's actually have a range of different options you could get, so the trucks might look similar outside........but can have several large differences inside. For instance, my PPV had a vinyl rear bench seat (looks leather) and I also have factory installed carpet.

So kind of an open question that no one can really speak on, without some photos and whether or not you know what was installed and removed that still has existing (and useless) wiring. I do know that the PPV harness is different from a civilian truck though, but its just the extent it was left together.

OP
OP
80Z1R

80Z1R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was a full on patrol unit with roof mounted light bar. All wiring was left laying where the police console was. It has a terminal on the battery with three large 2 or 4 guage hot wires. Two go to the passenger compartment with one going into the fuse box. I would like to eliminate all that are not required.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
So it won't make your day miserable . Just hide as much as possible . Tuck it up and away. If you don't want to do that and your heart is set on removing it all, you need to do what they did when they installed it. 1 pull all seats and seat frames. 2 Pull all panal in cab. 3 Pull head liner lay all this off to the side dont loose any fasteners. Now once your entire cab is stripped you can now start pulling all the coax cable out and you can see what wires are extra that were police wires. That's the only real way to get all police wires gone. Now if that's too much to do. Just roll them up , cable tie them up and tuck them up out of the way.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it won't make your day miserable . Just hide as much as possible . Tuck it up and away. If you don't want to do that and your heart is set on removing it all, you need to do what they did when they installed it. 1 pull all seats and seat frames. 2 Pull all panal in cab. 3 Pull head liner lay all this off to the side dont loose any fasteners. Now once your entire cab is stripped you can now start pulling all the coax cable out and you can see what wires are extra that were police wires. That's the only real way to get all police wires gone. Now if that's too much to do. Just roll them up , cable tie them up and tuck them up out of the way.
^^ This! IF the truck is running fine, tape off any bare wires, and tuck what’s there safely out of the way. The extra couple of pounds of wire, if that, won’t make any difference to performance or economy.

Our Tahoe had no extra wires, our Caprice had a harness and fuse block in the passenger footwell. I cut the fuse block out and tucked the wires into the passenger kick panel.